Apple Hardware Test Error Code?

HandyMac

Registered
Trying to resurrect an iBook G4 that wouldn't start. Local AASP diagnosed a bad hard disk, but when I took the disk out and tested it thoroughly, it passed every test (and since I discovered that this AASP had left out several screws, and left the rest loose, when reassembling the iBook, I didn't feel a lot of confidence in their diagnosis).

So I put it all back together and installed 10.4 without any problem, everything seemed fine. A week later when I tried to start it, again it wouldn't start. Then it did. Then it didn't. Then I started it from an external disk; but a restart from the same external disk produced a kernel panic.

So I tried Apple Hardware Test, which reported ERROR on the Mass Storage test, with this code:

2STF/8/3: ATA-100 ata-6 - Master

And stopped the test.

Can anyone tell me what this error code means? Of course, seems likely the HD is bad, but the iBook also shows evidence of mishandling (a couple chunks broken out of the top case), which makes me wonder if perhaps some tiny trace on the logic board might be damaged in some way.

Thanks for the link, which was informative. I hadn't thought to search there for the actual error code. I'm going to take the HD out again and test it in another computer. It may be the HD pixies allowed it a last breath of life to let me get the data off, then let it die. I rather hope so, actually, as I don't want to have to replace the logic board. *Sigh*

Back