Apple harware test problem!!! :-(

snuflupukis

Registered
I ran the Apple hardware test today to check my system and I got an error while checking the memory. I ran the test and got an error, "mem_/2/4." Then unplugged all my external devices that were plugged into the back of my computer then ran the test again. After running the test again I got the same error, "mem_/2/4." Does anyone know what this error means? "mem_/2/4"

It means you have a memory problem. either your added memory is testing bad, or the memory controller (part of the logic board) is not functioning properly.
Are you having problems with your system now? Or did you just run the hardware test for fun?

I ran the test beause at startup, my monitor would sometimes flicker with horizontal and vertical lines. The only way the lines would go away, was if I were to turn off the monitor and turn it back on. So I ran the hardware test to check my video card to see if that was causing a problem, but the hardware test found something wrong with the memory. The test will not go past the memory part of the test unless the problem is fixed. So I was wondering what the error code ment. Any explination?

Probably bad memory. Remove all but the stock RAM chips and try again, then report us your results and we'll go from there.

Well after about 30min. of messing around with my computer it finally goes through the hardware test and everything passes with no errors. I had (2) 512MB chips in there along with a 256MB. Now that I am done messing around I only have a 512MB and a 256MB.

When running the hardware test I came across some weird problems with the memory. The chip that ended up giving me the error passed when it was by itself going through he hardware test. But even before that test began, it said it had a problem with the memory at startup. I cant explain that one. When I put the other two chips in there and took out the 512MB everything passed without a problem.

Well I guess that solves that. Although I am kind of bummed I lost a 512MB chip out of all of that.

Well thanks for the help everyone! :)

Back