Apple iHome?!

quiksan

awesomer...
The Apple iHome

Love the feature set
iHome will have the following specs:
The ability to stream video/audio/pictures from and to many Apple products (iPod, shuffle, all laptops, all desktops) on it’s local network.
450 gig hard drive.
1.5 GHz G5
2GB of RAM (upgradeable to 6GB)
SuperDrive (can burn DVD’s in real time)
Component, composite, S-Video, DVI, and HDMI inputs and outputs.
5.1 Digital audio output
Firewire
USB 2
Airport Extreme
AM/FM Tuning

but c'mon - believe that today??? looks sweet though!

That looks a LOT like the iBox that some guy made out of old Power Mac components as a gapfiller for what is now provided by the Mac mini.

Here's a picture of it.

ibox2.jpg

It certainly looks damned sweet, but I think it's fake... Remember what date it is today.

It also says there: 450 Gig HD. The maximum available today is only 400 Gig!!

HomunQlus said:
It also says there: 450 Gig HD. The maximum available today is only 400 Gig!!
Are you crazy go nuts? There are drives in the 2 TERABYTE range.

iHome will have the following specs:
The ability to stream video/audio/pictures from and to many Apple products (iPod, shuffle, all laptops, all desktops) on it’s local network.
450 gig hard drive.
1.5 GHz G5
2GB of RAM (upgradeable to 6GB)
SuperDrive (can burn DVD’s in real time)
Component, composite, S-Video, DVI, and HDMI inputs and outputs.
5.1 Digital audio output
Firewire
USB 2
Airport Extreme
AM/FM Tuning

The base price for iHome will be approximately $1,500

Riiiiiiiight. I smell a big load of you-know-what, either on the device itself or that price point. There's no way that apple would be selling a G5 machine with 450GB of space, SuperDrive and 2GB of RAM for $1500.

I know those pictures on that site are mock-up rendered images, but heck -- the moron who made them can't even spell "Digital." (Pic of the back of the unit)

JPigford said:
Okay, maybe not 2 but 1.6. Dang close I'd say.

Amazing, that's the third time I've heard someone make a claim like this today.

That particular Lacie box contains 4 400MB hard drives concatenated together. Notice the 4x8MB buffer (the 8MB buffer on each 400MB HD)?

The rumor that there would be a new small-box Mac was running around, and somebody mocked up the "iHome," as I recall... But then the Mac Mini was released...

TheAppleBlog clearly does a horrible job with realism on April Fools' Day.

If you're going to make a prank, you don't make obviously false pranks. You can do that any day. When has anyone ever heard of a scoop hitting T.A.B. with extensive high res. promo shots and mock-ups?

Add to that coming out with the iNote and iHome in one day (give me a break).

It only serves to aggravate me when people don't have the common decency to put some effort into it.

wow this day (april fools) is an awesome day for apple.. i mean talk about these ideas that they get from the public. :p

They can get imaginative fakes from Apple "fan"-atics all year long dude. April Fool's is just a more condensed day to see who can out fool whomever, it seems.

So what is Everyones Wishlist for a Apple PVR/Set-Top Box?
  • Input for Set-Top TV Tuner (Cable/Satellite/Digital Terrestrial), with Composite Video In, Digital Audio In (Only Optical, not Coax… I don't know anyone who uses Coax, unless they have to) Also Standard AV as a fallback.
  • Large HDD to accommodate PVR Recorded Shows.
  • Capability to handle 1080i Video with AC3 Audio. It will be transcoded into H.264 for storage and Network Broadcast.
  • Airtunes Output. In early Models WiFi can only be used for Audio. In Later Models WiFi can be used for Video too!
  • Output for 5.1 Digital, Composite Video and DVI. Also Fallback to Standard AV.
The Various Video Inputs and Outputs could be accommodated by a Breakout Box, like Mini-VGA/Mini-DVI on iBooks and 12" Powerbooks, or DVI on the MacMini This would reduce cable Clutter directly behind the Unit, and would mean People only need one set of Inputs/Outputs. It will also lower the Up-front Price of the Unit. It may mean that it will be incompatible with some TVs or Set-Top Boxes, but you can't please everyone, and Apple aren't known for their pleasing of everyone.

I don't think Apple will introduce one of these Units in the next two years, but it is reasonable (IMHO) for an Aftermarket Company like DVForge or Griffin to create an enclosure which will accommodate a slot in the side to contain an Airport Express, and a Slot in the front for an Mac Mini.

Back