Apple in Tokyo (incl. pictures)

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
TOKYO (AP) - Apple Computer Inc.'s first retail store outside the United States will open its doors Sunday in Tokyo, the company said.

The five-floor store, operated by Apple's Japanese affiliate, will carry the Cupertino, California-based computer maker's latest products and feature an Internet cafe.

Located in Tokyo's glitzy Ginza shopping district, it will become Apple's 73rd retail store.

``So many customers are walking by the front door ... we will be able to bring many of them in who did not think about going to an Apple store,'' chief executive Steve Jobs, visiting Tokyo for a pre-opening promotion, said Thursday.

Apple's retail stores have ``hosted more than 24 million visitors'' since the first opened in May 2001, the company said in a statement.

http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?type=3&cat=0500&id=200311270749000198552

I don't really know where maccentral got its "Opens in 2004" from??

From apple: http://www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/

They open 30. November (tomorrow), 9 pm Japanese time.
Said so for at least a month in apple's site. Maybe since september, when the recruiters went to Ginza ..

Anyone from here going to be there? :D

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I know there are Apple Centres (about 4) in Singapore.

Apple Stores are from Apple themselves. Apple Centres have the official "rank" to be a Apple retailer, but they are not from Apple themselves.

Something like that..

I thought I heard of one opening in Osaka? Is this true?

Man, except for not knowing the language - it's getting easier for me to want to live in Japan - at least for a while!
(been wanting to for a few years now)
:D

There was an article about the store linked from macrumors I think, with a real nice picture of the place. It's five stories! It's got the same tile siding that they have at the chicago store on the bottom floor, and on the top of the building a huge billboard of the same tile with a beautifully lucent apple logo on it.

wow...absolutely gorgeous. maybe they can open another one of those 5-stories back in LA...even though we got 3 stores already, 1 being apple's flagship at the grove.

Sogni said:
I thought I heard of one opening in Osaka? Is this true?

Man, except for not knowing the language - it's getting easier for me to want to live in Japan - at least for a while!
(been wanting to for a few years now)
:D
Heh, ditto. :)
bobw said:
So many Japanese people there :)
Wow, really? ;)

*Looks at pictures* Wow, looks like an awesome store. Japan's always on the cutting edge of technology, so this should fit in with their lifestyles perfectly.

How they fit it onto the city block, however, is a different matter, considering how impacted the Japanese cities are... :rolleyes:

Where's my sleeping bag? :D

I want to get a job at an apple store! It's too bad they don't seem to hire kids.
I want a job at a mac store somewhere though, but it's hard to get a job as a computer salesman as a 16 year old.

Make that thing about 50 feet wide at the base and they may just consider you crazy enough to deserve an Apple Store. :)

Apple only just opened their first international store, so in time you'll probably get one in your country. They have to overtake the other major populaces first, like London, Paris, Rome, etc.

Back