Apple Intel Comercial - copycat PostalService ?

You know, I thought that Apple commercial looked awfully familiar when I first saw it.

It's pretty funny (and sad, from a creative perspective) if it's just a coincidence.

This was debunked at O'grady's PowerPage.org ... the people who directed the Postal Service video also directed the Apple commercial. So it's intended, and also with permission ... ish.

“It has recently come to our attention that Apple Computers’ new television commercial for the Intel chip features a shot-for-shot recreation of our video for ‘Such Great Heights’ made by the same filmmakers responsible for the original,” said Gibbard. “We did not approve this commercialization and are extremely disappointed with both parties that this was executed without our consultation or consent.” - Postal Service

RGrphc2 said:
wasnt both videos made by the same guys?

god...everybody stop crying!!!!
Yep. They should be complaining to the director of the videos instead of Apple. Sheesh.

kainjow said:
Yep. They should be complaining to the director of the videos instead of Apple. Sheesh.
ARE they complaining to Apple? I don't see that their finger is pointed at anyone it particular. But maybe I've only heard limited quotes.

This kind of thing is just not done. It's perfectly reasonable for them to be upset. And I DO think someone should pay for this.

What is the point of reusing the concept? Were they too lazy to make new storyboards?!? Did they mean it as an homage to TPS? (In which case, they really should have asked them!) Or are they just devoid of all creativity? I just don't get it. Shame on everyone involved, I say.

gerbick said:
If anybody else had done it, you'd been all over it.

I don't think so. You can't expect Apple to check every commercial ever made to see if it's the same. I wouldn't expect any other company to either. It's the ad agencies that lack creativity that are to blame, irrespective of who the commercial is made for.

it has been said that in the design area, there are no original ideas any more, everything has been done before. this doesn't mean to say that noone can be creative, but everything is designed today will have had something else created earlier that resembles it in some obscure (or obviuos) ways. whether this was noted by the orignal designers or not is irrelevant. the most recent high profile uproar of this was the Honda 'Cog' advert which 'stole' it's entire concept from two dutch artists, who created something very similar 10 years earlier. in the courts, honda claimed that, yes, it did bear a striking resemblance, but it was not imitation, just an independent idea that unfortunately wasn't original, much like everything else.

But, let's face it, these shots are so similar, this imitation was intended. I agree that Apple and Chiat/Day should have had the permission of The Postal Service in order to do this salute/parody.

That's just bad manners.

Count me as someone who had never even heard of this band before this brouhaha. Just think of how many people are now going to listen to this music vid, free publicity woohoo! Still a good idea for an ad though, so who in the "real world" will care when it's on the tele anyway?

But even before the Postal Services song and video, this type of scenario was common in older Sci-fi and 'computer movies'... gads, I am doing some housework here in my G5, so they can have at it... I don't mind so long as it's all cool.

It must be a coincidence. If the footage is a standard image eg: office, or people in general i know that the commercial industry has thousands apon thousands of stock film footage that is then resold to production houses which inturn is used for commercials or snippets of vision within a commercial.

If the director has used the original footage twice, than what a shame!!!

Back