Apple laptop displays

@Lycander thats exactly what I meant as with the text size, its been a while since I used XP but AFAIR you can do the same in GUI properties or something. now what would be ultra cool if, like is safari where you can just click bigger text size if you could do that in a preferences somewhere, or even apply it system wide to pictures as well then you could have scalable web pages.
@Hulk no I don't really no what I am talking about I'm just a 9 year old kid :p

Lol I was joking I am actually 16 but I still don't know much, I've only owned macs for about 4 months I was all on linux before that

As I said, Dell tries to convince people to get the highest resolution display you can buy for their laptops, and then to turn all the font sizes up in Windows, and in Internet Explorer.

It's so that most people can't see the lack of anti-aliasing Windows XP has on its window edges et-cetera, and so the whole interface looks more crisp, in the same way a printed image at 1200DPI looks better than 200DPI.

I mean, it's perfectly reasonable. I would like Apple to give us that kind of control over the elements of the display. Or at very least, just a simple command that turns all the screen fonts up.

I run 1600x1200 DPI on a 17" CRT, and that's MINISCULE, but it gives me enough screen space to do what I need to do (A3 compositions most of the time)

To my opinion the pc world is trying to attract (?fool?) their customers with numbers. bla bla bla Ghz, bla bla bla GB, bla bla bla resolution...
And what do we know about those numbers? They don't mean much if not even a thing..

@Zammy-Sam:
100% true! :thumbsup:

@Lycander:
You probably didn't even try Silk and you just like to argue... Well, in any case and just for the people here to learn the truth about the AWESOME shareware app ( but with the price of donationware ;) ) Silk, just study the following pictures! :D

Attachments

• Safari small.jpg
    Safari small.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 18
  • TextEdit small.jpg
    TextEdit small.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 20
hulkaros said:
@Lycander:
You probably didn't even try Silk and you just like to argue...
How could I? I just got my iBook last night! Programmers have to sleep to ya know!

@Zammy-Sam:
Apple sales people do the same thing, the guy who sold my last iMac kept telling me it's 4 times faster than a Pentium 4. Ya, ok buddy.

No seriously, with Apple computers it's easier to show people what you can do and how fun/easy it is to do it. PC buyers... well we're bean counters so we like numbers anyways.

Crap now I'm developing multiple personality disorder.

Lycander said:
How could I? I just got my iBook last night! Programmers have to sleep to ya know!

Feeling tired certainly didn't stop you from "flying" unfounded words on your computer about products that you didn't even try :rolleyes:

Or this "got to sleep" is permanent in your case? :D :p

Sleep is the only way I could dream about you Hulky Wulky ;) So sleep is a necessity.

I've been playing around with my iBook for a few hours now, including last night. See all the sights and surfed with various browsers. Not sure if something has changed with the font rendering, or maybe it's simply just because I have a bigger LCD screen now... what I'm saying is everything looks fine now, I don't think I'll be needing Silk.

Even Silk does not make Mac OS X' UI scalable. That'll _really_ only come with 10.5 or later, since Tiger only serves developers with an API for it for use in applications, it's not system-wide (yet).

This _will_ eventually lead to what we all want: Fully scalable UI. But that's _really_ only important if we're talking 200 dpi screens and up. Right now, Apple gives us more or less similarly DPI'd screens.

And hulkaros: Please don't bash just anyone who says something bad about the Mac or Mac OS X, because sometimes they're right.

Certainly, Quartz and Quartz Extreme _would_ offer such capabilities, but the OS doesn't to the user, and that's what counts for a user who wants the capability. Because when a user asks, where he can tell the system he's using a 180 DPI screen and he or she wants the system to adapt to it: There's _no_ such setting anywhere in Mac OS X.

Lycander said:

@Zammy-Sam:
Apple sales people do the same thing, the guy who sold my last iMac kept telling me it's 4 times faster than a Pentium 4. Ya, ok buddy.

No seriously, with Apple computers it's easier to show people what you can do and how fun/easy it is to do it. PC buyers... well we're bean counters so we like numbers anyways.

Crap now I'm developing multiple personality disorder.

Where did u buy ur mac from ???
cause here in sweden, if u go to any apple reseller ull get a diff. experience.

ull find that the employees use hands on demonstration to sell u macs instead of giving u numbers. in any of the mac stores here ive entered i allways see them demonstrating final cut or garageband . the other day they had a usb pianokeyboard connected to a g5 and where demonstrating garageband.

in general, they really dont use numbers, they just SHow u how everything works so fast and simply !. cause its a mac :)
and im sure Apple sale ppl in Authentic Apple Stores in the US are even better trained for such purposes :)

fryke said:
And hulkaros: Please don't bash just anyone who says something bad about the Mac or Mac OS X, because sometimes they're right.

its perfectly logical that any OS cannot be perfect!!! different individuals have different needs.

its just that the Mac (in my opinion) gives the mass an easier, more fun and productive computer experience.
if i wanna make my life difficult by using an OS which may offer more options in some areas ill install linux.
if i wanna waste my time cause my life sucks and ive got nothing to do, ill buy windows, ill have pleanty to do then just even upon installation!...

its certainly important that ppl Discuss and even report to apple their ideas.

what i dont like is the attitude that some ppl have when theyre not satisfied with the mac.

this is a mac forum, and ppl should be enthusiastic about the mac (pretty hard to see nowadays)

if u dont find urself enthusiastic about the mac, maybe fryke and others can make a group and go check out longhorn keynotes (theres something theyll be enthusiastic about)

or maybe u can try One More Thing :)

Lycander said:
This is the tactic for switchers. If you want to get understood by ppl in the pc world, you have to talk their language. :)

hey soulseek, grab a chair and read what I wrote and you _quoted_ before trying to call me names (longhorn-keynote watcher? where do you take _that_ from?). have I done something to make you think I'm a Windows person? if you have read my posts here on macosx.com - and i've been here quite a while, so it _might_ have happened - you know i'm a Mac person through and through. Heck, even my signature could give you a clue about it. Or are you just making fun of me? Well: Don't, please, because I don't like it one bit.

fryke said:
Even Silk does not make Mac OS X' UI scalable. That'll _really_ only come with 10.5 or later, since Tiger only serves developers with an API for it for use in applications, it's not system-wide (yet).

This _will_ eventually lead to what we all want: Fully scalable UI. But that's _really_ only important if we're talking 200 dpi screens and up. Right now, Apple gives us more or less similarly DPI'd screens.

Certainly, Quartz and Quartz Extreme _would_ offer such capabilities, but the OS doesn't to the user, and that's what counts for a user who wants the capability. Because when a user asks, where he can tell the system he's using a 180 DPI screen and he or she wants the system to adapt to it: There's _no_ such setting anywhere in Mac OS X.

Hi there FrykeMan ;)

I pointed out Silk because people complaining that they cannot change the text of OS X GUI and NOT because of DPI or this and that :D

I also pointed out this link http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/ because there it clearly says that OS X IS "device-independent and resolution-independent rendering of anti-aliased text, bitmap images and vector graphics". I think that Apple knows better than anyone else here about their product :p

As for DPI options, this and that, can you point to me where exactly at Windows can I enable anything different (with the built-in functions of that OS of course) than 72/96 DPI?

Also, where exactly is that mainstream usage of computer screens that utilize anything above >=150 DPI in order for Panther to had that in mind 2 years ago when it was in development? Now, that the market starts to offer 100-140 DPI monitors, Apple will offer Tiger... Developers will start to get it and then in a mature and organised way in 10.5 they will offer what you are talking about. So, where exactly is the problem? If you like problems try to read more on Longhorn and/or Linux development and then MAYBE you will realize what a GREAT product OS X currently is and will become even better in 6-9 months from now :D

As for bashing... You are talking to the wrong person here... I could give you couple names but I think that you already know them... And as for Windows users some times being right ( or perhaps most of the time in here? :rolleyes: ), opinions vary, you know? :)

Back