Apple Laptop Wont Start Up

jollyton12

Registered
HAY PLZ HELP ME

my apple powerbook g4 ,15 INCH

...is not starting up i only c the blue/GREY screen with the apple logo n the circl thing

I FOUND THIS INFOMATIN HERE I DID THIS N NOW I C CODES ON MY SCREEN HELP ME PLZ

To zap the PRAM, hold down Command-Option-P-R after the startup chime.

However, you might want to do the following. Hold down Command-Option-O-F to go into Open Firmware. Once in there, type "reset-nvram" and hit return. Once returned to the prompt, typr "reset-all", hit Return, and the Mac will reboot. Be sure to leave out the quotes on both commands. Hope this helps.

HELP ME TO REMVE THIS CODES COMES ON MY SCREEN ..AFTER I DID TAH TTHING WHICH TELLA BOVE I AM GETTING TEH CODES,,,BEFORE MY PROBLEM WAS EASY I GUESS I JUST HAD TO INSTALL PANTER OS AGAIN

Unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI", overlaid on the kernel panic screen at startup.

I can't reboot into safe mode. In single user mode and verbose mode, the same error message appears and I can't type anything after it does.

Please be aware that your post looks awful - almost unreadable etc. So you hit Cmd-Opt-O-F at boot-time to get into Open Firmware and saw some "codes", i.e. you successfully _got_ to the Open Firmware prompt. Did you *do* the reset-nvram, reset-all etc. tips?

I don't really understand kernel panics that well. Could be anything from hardware to a hosed system installation. Please keep support in the threads, as anything going on via PMs can't be searched by other users later on.

That's exactly what I told him (I even linked him to this thread). Oh well.

Anyways, it looks as though it might be a hosed OS X installation (upgrading from Panther to Tiger). However, the disc that he has for Tiger is scratched according to him and he doesn't have the Panther discs. :confused:

I would definitely try taking out RAM at this point to see what happens. Take out one chip and if it still fails on boot, swap the chips.

"Hay It My Laptop"?! ... If English is not your first language, you might want to try to pose the question in your language. Some of us might understand that better.

Oh, then I understood it correctly. But what do you mean by saying that "it's your laptop"? I don't get what you want to say with that... The last tip I've read was to look at the RAM configuration. Take a chip out, swap the chips if there's more than one... Anything. Although I guess if there's only one RAM slot filled, there's not much you can do other than put it into the other RAM slot.

No one is required to help you is likely the correct statement.

With that said, there are many people here that will be more than happy to help another fellow mac user resolve your issue.

Communication is a very important when it comes to getting your issue across here. If you pull out such terms as 'OMG' and any other half-thought phrases, be assured that you will not get much respect nor help.

I'll still offer my assistance though.

From the screenshots you posted to nixgeek, it would appear you have a very serious problem on your hands. You likely have one of the following issues.

1. Hardware failure.
If this is the case you will need to get it repaired. Check with Apple to see if you are still covered for warranty. There is a hardware test CD that should have came with your laptop, you can use this to help verify wether your issue is a hardware issue or a software issue. If your system did not come with one, contact Apple support to see what it would cost to get this. System CDs that came with your hardware is very important and should always be stored in a safe place for important times just like this.

2. Corrupted system.
Your system can have corrupted drivers that are preventing your system from loading. The proper action at this point would be to reload the system with your restore CD that came with the laptop. If this is the disc that is damaged, you will need to buy a new CD and restore from that. Next time, keep your restore CD in a safe place.

I hope this will help you get in the right direction.

From what he's told me, he tried to install Tiger over Panther, but according to him the discs were scratched, leaving a corrupted and unfinished installation. A reinstallation might fix it, but he would have to do an "Archive & Install".

Jollyton12, I know that you've tried holding down the C key, but remember youhave to do it after you hear the Macintosh startup sound. It's the sound you hear when you turn on the PowerBook.

The scratched disc may very well be the reason for the corruption. If the user updated the system with a scratched disc and skipped the verification of the disc and just upgraded the system, key components might have not been installed correctly. I don't know the severity of the scratch, but if you are unable to boot from it, you may want to try one of the gadgets out there that will help remove the scratches off of discs.

Assuming your hardware is working correctly, I see no reason that you couldn't load Tiger onto your laptop.

teh problem started when i followed this:
To zap the PRAM, hold down Command-Option-P-R after the startup chime.

However, you might want to do the following. Hold down Command-Option-O-F to go into Open Firmware. Once in there, type "reset-nvram" and hit return. Once returned to the prompt, typr "reset-all", hit Return, and the Mac will reboot. Be sure to leave out the quotes on both commands. Hope this helps.

is there a way i can undo it plz tell me

Back