Apple Laptop Wont Start Up

That kinda was the whole reason for going into the open firmware. The options that they suggest you reset was to put your nvram settings back to a default setting.

At this point, no there is no way to 'undo' the nvram set.

I cannot imagine that resetting your nvram option is preventing you from starting up. I would think that if anything it's likely you might have imputted the commands incorrectly.

Have you tried to go back into Open Firmware and resetting the nvram again? If not, it wouldn't hurt to do so. After that, try the 'command-option-p-r' method again see if your options get reset correctly.

DISCLAIMER!! - Meddling with your Open Firmware is done at your own risk!

If you bring it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider, they may be able to test your RAM for free. If you have the hardware check disk, you can use that as well.

Also make sure that when you do an installation over 10.2 that you ALWAYS choose the Archive and Install option of the OS X installer.

I still think that you need to take the cover off the RAM slots (on the bottom of the PowerBook) and see if there are two RAM chips in there. If so, take one out and then power up the PowerBook to see what happens. If it boots normally, try putting the chip back in and see what happens. If the problem persists, then the RAM chip is probably bad and you should get a new one.

If taking out one doesn't result in a working computer, put it back in and take out the other and follow the steps again in the last paragraph.

NOTE: you should not take out RAM unless you're familiar AND comfortable with the process. You should not use excessive force when removing or installing memory chips. If you feel like you're being forceful with it, either find some online instructions to do it properly, or stop what you're doing.

i odnt have teh disk

n what u mean by
DISCLAIMER!! - Meddling with your Open Firmware is done at your own risk!

did i do any thing is it that i wont able to use it

WHat's happening is that he took a post that I made in another thread (probably about something that's unrelated to the problem he had). At this point, jollyton12, I would say tell your father what happened and take it in to get looked at. I don't think you are capable of performing the steps necessary to get this PowerBook up and running again. Better to fess up and get it working by someone who knows what he/she is doing than to do it on your own.

The disclaimer is a reminder that might not have been mentioned, that more manufacturers do not support hardware after you have tweeked your Open Firmware. Though most of the time you wouldn't mentioned to them that you did, but it's just common sense that you are playing with fire if you do not know what you are doing.

By me saying go into your Open Firmware to change settings and then disclaiming that doing so can cause other problems, is a way for me to say it's not my fault if your computer blows up.

I don't recall seeing anyone mentioning this in this thread, so I thought it might be important you understand that though these methods have worked for countless other users, that if done incorrectly, can lead to a non-working computer.

ahh.....now we are getting a clearer picture here. Thanks for the insight nixgeek.

It might be best to stop now and get some grown-ups involved to get this taken care of properly.

its far form my house will they check for free

They'll be able to diagnose it for free. They can't open it up without charging, but they can run tests on the machine to try to isolate the problem. If it's far away, get there early, before all the appointments are taken. If you don't go to the Genius bar, you'll have to pay for support, so it's a good place to start.

Oh God So No 1 Can Help Me..i Am Good At Computers Cause I Am Studying It In My College But I Never Used Mac, So This Is The Problem...no I Cant Tell Me Dad..god I Will Be In Trouble Mates Try To Help Me Here...plz

Why would your father get angry? If it was given to you, then you needed to redo it no? And besides, you haven't physically damaged anything. It seems as though it's just a botched installation that needs to be done over. And since the discs are damaged, you only have to buy the discs and reinstall. Nothing too bad about that. It happens.

but the cd doesnt load......and also it doesnt start in safe mode
and my dad dint gave it,,,it was my mom....he dont even give me a peny

Stuff happens. System failures happen. Nothing to panic about. (no pun intended) If you bring in the disks, they may be able to give you disks that are in good shape, but I can't guarantee this. At any rate, an authorized service provider (the Apple Store..) may be better able to assist you, especially if this is a hardware failure, and you don't have the tools to diagnose it.

hoi
i stuk few hours with problem:
i cant leave single user mode
reboot 50 times, always ladn in this same place command menu
-i cant start from os x instal dvd..
pmu reset-doesnt work..
what to do??

I believe that all the aluminum powerbooks have at least a combo drive; CD burning and DVD reading.

If you have a separate problem with your laptop, ko7mac, it will be easier to address in a separate thread

Back