Apple Laptops Catching on Fire?!?!

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
There was a news special yesterday that my mother told me about (I, unfortunately, missed it). Apparently, there is yet *another* problem (I remember the battery recall that Apple did last year) with laptops catching on fire. I've Googled this but could only find last year's recall. No new news. Could someone please post a newsworthy link that details this new fire hazard with newer iBook (or maybe it's the new MacBook) models? Thanks so much!

I don't think the iBooks are affected that much -- I remember hearing about this concerning Dell notebooks, but have not heard about widespread Apple notebook fires. I do know that some iBook G4 batteries, when left improperly charging or in a place where heat can build up rapidly (like on carpet), caught fire, but these were isolated issues.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Another_Dell_Laptop_Catches_Fire/1154118238

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/ibook-in-flames-film-at-11-177941.php

I don't think the iBooks are affected that much -- I remember hearing about this concerning Dell notebooks, but have not heard about widespread Apple notebook fires. I do know that some iBook G4 batteries, when left improperly charging or in a place where heat can build up rapidly (like on carpet), caught fire, but these were isolated issues.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Another_Dell_Laptop_Catches_Fire/1154118238

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/ibook-in-flames-film-at-11-177941.php

Hey, thanks. Much appreciated. So, there hasn't been another recall. At least, not yet. :eek:

OMG ... lol

OK, that's really not funny. Geez! Thanks for the info, g/re/p. I have an iBook, so I guess I'm safe. And thankfully, my battery serial number wasn't one of the models that were recalled last year.

Anyway, thanks again.

wow! that's one toasted notebook! i think Apple's new design for laptops should include something that will not conduct heat and burn my lap when its on my lap. it will also help with not catching fire, due to lack of heat

wow! that's one toasted notebook! i think Apple's new design for laptops should include something that will not conduct heat and burn my lap when its on my lap. it will also help with not catching fire, due to lack of heat
I'm no physicist, but I think that would actually make it MORE likely to catch fir, as it would prevent heat from escaping from the inside of the machine to the outside world. If it's hot to the touch, that means it's dissipating heat; that's GOOD. Ideally the top of the laptop would provide enough heat dissipation for the whole thing, allowing the bottom to be insulated, but that would mean slower processors and other compromises to reduce heat output.

When laptops catch fire, it's usually because they've been left for too long on a spot on a surface that does not conduct and dissipate heat, like a tablecloth, carpet, or wood. If you leave it on such a surface too long, the heat will continue to build up until something catches fire. Actually, most typical surfaces are not good heat conductors, so be sure to feel the table under your laptop now and then, and if it's too hot, move to a different spot — even just a few inches away.

One thing Apple and other laptop makers could do is simply put feet on the things! If you elevate the laptop even a fraction of an inch off a table, that will allow air to flow beneath, which will really help heat dissipation. There are many third-party laptop feet and trays available to do just that.

Careful with rubber feet, though; they might melt!

I'm no physicist, but I think that would actually make it MORE likely to catch fir, as it would prevent heat from escaping from the inside of the machine to the outside world. If it's hot to the touch, that means it's dissipating heat; that's GOOD. ...
You are absolutely correct.

You know what the problem is, don't you? American-based companies are using el cheapo batteries from overseas. For instance, the big Dell recall where batteries were overheating and catching on fire ... guess where that batch of bad batteries came from? A factory in South Korea. If more companies would start using better batteries manufactured in the USA, I have a sneaking suspicion that there'd be a lot less recalls.

Only problem is that nothing is manufactured in the USA. We are a post-industrial service economy! (Meaning that we can't make our own crap at prices low enough for us to consider buying it at Walmart.) ;-)

Tell that to Ford Pinto owners.

Oh, my statement doesn't apply to cars. Especially Ford. Chevy, on the other hand, is all American and simply ROCKS. Of course, I'm partial because I drive a modern year of my favorite muscle car--and, in my opinion--the BEST muscle car ever: the Chevy Malibu (a.k.a. Chevy Chevelle).

Only problem is that nothing is manufactured in the USA. We are a post-industrial service economy! (Meaning that we can't make our own crap at prices low enough for us to consider buying it at Walmart.) ;-)

Hey, don't tell me the USA doesn't MAKE anything. The tag inside my shirt says "Made in the USA." Of course, the material was probably imported. ;)

Some people store their laptops in their checked-in luggage when flying(a dumb idea because of the possibility of theft.....yes, it's happened....not to me, though; I always carry mine with me).
If a stored laptop's battery explodes/bursts into flames while in the plane's storage bay, think of what might happen! I'm not aware if all(or even any) planes have effective fire suppression systems there. In the passenger compartment, they've got fire extinguishers, though.
Something else to worry about when flying!:(

Some people store their laptops in their checked-in luggage when flying(a dumb idea because of the possibility of theft.....yes, it's happened....not to me, though; I always carry mine with me).
If a stored laptop's battery explodes/bursts into flames while in the plane's storage bay, think of what might happen! I'm not aware if all(or even any) planes have effective fire suppression systems there. In the passenger compartment, they've got fire extinguishers, though.
Something else to worry about when flying!:(

I was already extremely paranoid about flying before I read your post. And I thought I had thought of everything. Thanks so much for this enlightening tidbit.

Hey, don't tell me the USA doesn't MAKE anything. The tag inside my shirt says "Made in the USA." Of course, the material was probably imported. ;)

Funny thing that shirt of yours was most likely made in the Marianas Islands a spiffy little corner of U.S. territory over by the Philippines. That is only U.S. in name as none of the people working there have U.S. citizenship and live under terrible conditions. This is a part of the whole Jack Abramoff scandal where he lobbied and secured votes from many prominent Republicans to prevent improving conditions there, which presently include forced abortions for 'workers.' That kind of embarrassed them politically in front of their pro-life base.

Man, that sounds much rantier than I meant, it but I am a bit pressed for time so cant fix it right now.

Funny thing that shirt of yours was most likely made in the Marianas Islands a spiffy little corner of U.S. territory over by the Philippines. That is only U.S. in name as none of the people working there have U.S. citizenship and live under terrible conditions. This is a part of the whole Jack Abramoff scandal where he lobbied and secured votes from many prominent Republicans to prevent improving conditions there, which presently include forced abortions for 'workers.' That kind of embarrassed them politically in front of their pro-life base.

Man, that sounds much rantier than I meant, it but I am a bit pressed for time so cant fix it right now.
Politics! Ugh.

Back