Apple Laptops Catching on Fire?!?!

I was not trying to be political just presenting some of the historical background that might have allowed you to make a connection with something you saw on the news or heard about. Kind of a "Oh that is why they were so worked up about that" moment. Politics is ugly, but it is important if for no other reason than the damage it can do to peoples lives.

I was not trying to be political just presenting some of the historical background that might have allowed you to make a connection with something you saw on the news or heard about. Kind of a "Oh that is why they were so worked up about that" moment. Politics is ugly, but it is important if for no other reason than the damage it can do to peoples lives.

Oh, I know. My post wasn't aimed at *you* (or your post) but rather at politics itself. And I totally agree with you: Politics *is* ugly.

scary stuff...makes me have second thoughts about getting a macbook...okay, maybe not. ;P that pic of the macbook pro is a little disturbing, though. makes me want to comfort the macbook pro...stupid owner. he or she should've removed it from that piece of lumber they call a table.

yeah...that would work, too. about the PS3. i think that sony has hit their end. i want the new console, but i love nintendo's Wii. that system is gonna sell hotter than cocaine during the 70's. yeah...people are gonna die during that systems release.

I'm betting on the 360 gaining some serious market share of Sony's, I've already seen a few Sony devouts suck it up and buy a 360 and completely turn away from the PS3. The Wii looks amazing, and is really innovative, but it's in the first gen of games, while the 360 is working on the second. Nintendo is also going to have to make some serious strides at providing more third party content if it wants to contend with the 360, however, the Wii definately has the PS3 built.

Granted, I don't know much about this aspect of computers, but... If "Sony makes crappy batteries," why aren't the Sony Viao laptops catching on fire? Also: I wasn't aware that Apple laptops used Sony batteries, but that's what I *think* read a few posts up in this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Wow. Thread's majorly off-topic by now. Yet the real information doesn't seem in this one yet. There WAS a new recall, iBooks (some) *ARE* indeed affected - http://support.apple.com/batteryprogram/ - and I'd love everyone to stay away from nationalist/racist remarks in a thread that's not about those things, really.

Sony hasn't had as many exploding laptops as Apple or Dell but it has had a few exploding laptops, the reason Sony's own products aren't being affect as much is because Sony just doesn't have the costumer base of Dell or Apple. Sony did indeed make the batteries

Apple has determined that certain lithium-ion batteries containing cells manufactured by Sony Corporation of Japan pose a safety risk that may result in overheating under rare circumstances.

The affected batteries were sold worldwide from October 2003 through August 2006 for use with the following notebook computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4.

Apple is voluntarily recalling the affected batteries and has initiated a worldwide exchange program to provide eligible customers with a new replacement battery, free of charge. This program is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other international safety authorities.
Identifying your battery

That quote is directly from the Apple website.

blah...everything always ends up being off topic. that is how the world works. this thread right here is going to go even further from the subject.

both dell and sony are plagued by the same problems: they bring out new products that suck. sony has they're playstation 2 console that always had something wrong with the disc tray and it couldn't read burned CDs...lame. dell has computers with monitors that couldn't light a room and disc trays that take years to respond after you press that button to eject it. i know all of this from experience. i like the PS2(game library), but those problems get annoying. my desktop is a dell. its good for about two years...then it just goes to crap.

Back