Apple leaks info..?

Pengu

Digital Music Pimp
This is from the DVD Studio Pro 4 tech-specs (requirements) page:

General

* Macintosh computer with a 733MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 processor and AGP graphics card
* 8MB of video memory (32MB recommended)
* Mac OS X v10.3.9
* QuickTime 7.0 or later
* 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
* 4.4GB available disk space
* DVD drive required for installation

For Authoring HD DVDs

* Macintosh computer with PowerPC G5 (dual processor recommended)
* 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended)

For Playing Back HD DVDs

* Macintosh computer with PowerPC G5
* Apple DVD Player v4.6
* Mac OS X v10.4.1

Now. some of you may wonder why i posted this. but it's apple releasing info:

1. There WILL be QuickTime 7 for Panther (10.3.9 at least)
2. They are ALREADY looking at updates that will be in 10.4.1 (to support playback of HD DVDs.
3. THEY WILL SUPPORT HD DVDs IN TIGER!!!!
4. HD DVDs chew a butt-load of CPU.

Ooh, touche. Very observant, Pengu. This supports the rumors of Blu-Ray discs being supported in future Macs.

Why wouldn't they release 7 on 10.3?

OS 8.6 was supported for quicktime 6.x (might even still be supported even though I doubt it)

There was just some doubt about QT7 on < 10.4 or Windows cus it relies on CoreVideo etc..

also. in case you didn't read the page, DVDSP4 does HD DVD on Standard DVDs using either HDV or H.264.. So imagine combining that with Blu-Ray (20 hours of H.264 HD on a Blu-Ray disc??)

JetwingX said:
Why wouldn't they release 7 on 10.3?

OS 8.6 was supported for quicktime 6.x (might even still be supported even though I doubt it)

I dunno, why wouldn't they release Safari 2 for 10.3? Or X11 for 10.2? Or iChat AV for 10.2? etc?

because they don't make any profit off of a "pro" version. Quick time is a universal media player. and if they don't release it for PCs or older macs, they are just hurting them selves.

Guess this means my Mac mini won't be able to play back any kind of HD content. I'm pissed. When Steve said it played back on "current hardware", I didn't think he meant only the fastest machines on the market. Grrr... :mad:

that's HD DVDs. VLC or 3ivx or another group may provide a way to watch HD on a mini (you can probably watch broadcast HD on a mini, so why not DVD?

I always wonder if when someone spots information that has slipped out that someone at Apple loses their job ... ?

:(

Well, none of that is really ground breaking. I think we would all expect that 10.4.1 is already being worked on to fix things that they couldn't fix in time for 10.4.0

The only thing that probably wasn't expected was QT7 for <Tiger

I hope that in the future video card companies will include H.264 decoder chips on them. The reason being, now DVDs are decoded via MPEG2 decoding on the video card, so they require such little CPU power to play. H.264(Blue-ray and HD-DVD) require software decoding so you need a lot of CPU power to do it. Hense the requirement for the G5.

If you look at MS's WM9 HD it requires a 3GHz P4 to decode...

The thing that I wonder about is why they require you to have a G5 to encode in HD. If you have a G4 it could still encode it, but it'd take a long long time. If the person doesn't care about that though, why should they be stopped from doing it?

If you don't have the right graphics card to work with CoreImage, it'll use your CPU instead. This is mostly for 3rd party apps that will use it. Apple uses it for fancy effects like the ripple effect and stuff in Keynote, etc.

Apple will turn those features off if you don't have a supported graphics card because it'll look too choppy.

.........I just checked the Core Image page. For supported graphics cards, they say "ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT". The Mac mini uses a 9200. I think I'm going to cry now.

I searched Apple's site pretty thoroughly before I bought my Mini, too. But they didn't offer any specifics at that time. I just assumed they wouldn't ship a system that wouldn't support it.

So, two of Tiger's biggest features, that I was most psyched about, won't work on my brand-new Mac. :mad:

It also won't work on even the current iBooks.

Edit: That is, it won't be accelerated on these machines. It'll still work, but I guess real-time effects will be out.

Out of curiosity... I wanted to ask a quick question!

I installed a Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB) in a 1 GHz G4 DP awhile back, and the hardware requirements for Core Image in December 2004 seemed to list that card as one of the supported ones. The most recent hardware requirements list does not, though (!). Does this mean there have been changes made to Tiger and the card will no longer be up to scratch for various tasks (eg. the ripple effect in Dashboard, and so on), or is it likely that Apple were only now listing the cards they shipped in their machines to keep the list shorter?

(I was wondering if any developers could answer this question without getting into any trouble over NDAs... :) )

just because it doesn't say XT!? i can't imagine it will support a 9600xt and not a 9800pro??

Anything above the Radeon 9500 should be supported, since they are largely based on the same core.

Pengu said:
just because it doesn't say XT!? i can't imagine it will support a 9600xt and not a 9800pro??
:p

Alas, I've learned to take nothing for granted, no matter how "obvious" things seem at first. After all, why would Apple remove certain cards from a hardware list, rather than just omit them in the first place?

Viro said:
Anything above the Radeon 9500 should be supported, since they are largely based on the same core.
Thanks, Viro. I certainly hope so! :)

Back