Apple MacBook 13.3-inch 2GHz does not continue to boot up.

Asterax

Registered
Hey all,

My friend has an Apple MacBook 13.3-inch 2GHz (model number: A1181). When I boot up the computer, the screen is gray and does not proceed to show the Apple logo. The MacBook continues to show the gray screen for quite a while. What can I do to identify some of the problems with this computer? The one caveat: I am in La Habana, Cuba and there is no concept of an Apple Store or Mac support. :)

Any help is appreciated.

Does your friend have the original install disks? he can boot from that OS X install disk and once the installer starts go to the menu items and select Disk Utility to see if the disk in the Mac went south for good.

UPDATE:

Hey all,

So, the MacBook has gone from only showing the gray startup screen to showing the standard question mark on a file folder. I know this indicates that the MacBook cannot locate the Operating System files. Since my friend does not have an install CD (none of us brought one to Cuba), reinstallation is not a possibility until we return to the States. Is there anything that can be done now without the install CDs? When the MacBook is returned to a Apple Store will the data be recoverable? I believe that is the most pressing (and scary) question for my friend and his MacBook.

I appreciate and thank any help and suggestions.

Back