Apple Mail 5.2 problems

nealt

Registered
This program has been running fine forever. All of a sudden I cannot send mail. I get the message "Cannot send message using server smtp....." Thunderbird works fine. I tried deleting the Mail preference files. Mail did not like that at all. Also Mail does not like to be deleted.

Is there a way to reinstall Mail? I am using OS 10.7.3.

Any other ideas?

When you open Mail, then click on the Connection Doctor (under the Window menu), does your smtp status show green?
Have you verified that your smtp server settings are correct in Mail?
If Thunderbird will send messages OK, then you can compare the SMTP settings in Mail with Thunderbird's settings.

The Connection Doctor will usually not be green if there's something wrong with the settings.
You gave a partial message about the error when you try to send mail. What is the complete message? Does it show YOUR smtp server name? Or, does it really say smtp.... (with the dots as you posted it?)
If all looks correct (and green), and it's not sending mail on two different mail apps, then maybe it's not you at all, but is a problem with your ISP?

Yes the message gives the full correct server name. I tried other servers where I have accounts with the same result. My ISP, TW RR, said everything is fine at their end. I tried another computer on my router and it worked fine.

I would call your internet provider and see if they didn't change something on their end. This happened to me once, they changed some mail filtrers, etc.... without notifying me .

On some rare occasions I have seen Mail and Keychain Access have issues with outgoing mail and getting the password to it. The symptom on these occasions was either asking for a password it already had or just not sending and going to an error rather than asking for the pass.

As midijeep noted above you should also see if your isp changed the mail server addresses or something else.

Back