Apple Mail.app Not Loading Attachments

Echosyn

Registered
Mail.app 3.6 in my G4 with Leopard has been working fine until a couple weeks ago. Now it will not put attachments in a new mail compose page. When I use "attach" at the top left then click "Choose" nothing happens. When I click "Browse" at top right then drag a photo it will not drop the photo onto the page. However, There is no problem sending attachments when I work in my two web email accounts from which I import email to Apple Mail.app. I do not use MobileMe or .Mac.
An install of OSX.5.8 over the existing OSX5.8 sharpened the overall function but did not fix this problem.
Safari browser is 5.0.3.

I apologize for this tardy reply; I was occupied by a medical crisis.
By experimentation I learned something that is not stated in the hard copy manuals nor in the Helps: Before adding attachments to an email one MUST FIRST PUT TEXT IN THE TEXT FIELD. Entered text is apparently the trigger that allows the attachment to be entered.
Now I am puzzled and ask MisterMe what kind, sort, or type of hint should I have known and presented in addition to what I said, which is all that I knew to say at the time?

Mail.app 3.6 in my G4 with Leopard has been working fine until a couple weeks ago. ...

Perhaps you can remember what happened a couple of weeks ago. Even a guess as to the cause can help.
Some possibles:
Installed new software, or simply updated your OS X system
Ran major utilities, such as OnyX, YASU, or others that provide a GUI method to clean up caches, temp files, and other maintenance of your OS X system.
Power failures, or other power 'glitches' forcing a restart of your Mac.
Other hardware problems, or simply new hardware, like a printer, drawing pad, etc.

As stated before, I am fairly new to computers. Upon thinking back, I remembered that I had been adding attachments to MacMail.app after putting text in the compose field and there was no problem. Afterward while practicing with photos and attachments, I would put in addresses then try adding attachments before composing. It would not work. Days and several frustrations later I changed my sequence of operations and discovered that TEXT MUST BE ENTERED IN THE COMPOSE FIELD BEFORE ADDING ATTACHMENTS TO MACMAIL. Folks who were raised with computers probably take this for granted.
Thank you for the useful tips. I will keep them in my notebook.

I don't know if I would take that info for granted. I just never thought about starting an email with an attachment. But, then I don't add attachments, but simply drag and drop whatever on the email.
Sometimes I simply read the instructions or help files. Other times - I do as you do, and just experiment until something works (or I get completely frustrated)
I find that process will be something that I will remember the next time.

BTW, I also didn't grow up with computers - home PCs didn't exist until I was well out of school.
Now, it's my hobby, and what I get paid to do.

Just a tip - the best qeustions here have some background about the situation. (When did this start, Were there any changes to your system at about that time, Do you have new hardware/software, etc, etc, etc.) The 'experts' on this forum (as well as others like this one) often will come back with other questions, to gain perpective, or to ask specific questions to help determine if an issue is one that they have seen, or helped with before.

Back