Apple Mail Not Playing New Mail Sound

andychrist

devil's plaything
For a long time now, Apple Mail has not been playing any sound when new mail arrives (the other Mail sounds still work.) Doesn't matter which sound I have enabled, or what schedule I select, silence. Checked com.apple.mail.plist and my selection seems to be there, dunno why it is not working. What can I do to bring back New Mail Sound?

ThanX.

I have the same problem when I first open Mail. But upon it looking for Mail again (automatically) did it play it's sound (of no email found) finally. I submitted a Apple Bug Report on some of Mail's issues (the sound and RSS feed bug). They replied back they see it to and are making a fix in 10.6.2. So I wait now. ;)

Well I get the No Mail sound but never the New Mail Sound, no matter what. But this is on a 2005 eMac so the OS is only 10.5.8.

Incidentally, I normally boot from a Newer Tech external drive, because the larger cache makes it noticeably faster than the internal HD. Booting from the eMac's own install, I found that New Mail sound was playing fine. I would have just copied my files over to the Newer Tech, but Mail has other problems on the eMac's drive-- the mailboxes are all screwed up.

I trashed the com.apple.mail.plist file on my boot drive and recreated my macosx.com account but still no joy.

Back