Apple or Windows? Which is better?

eliezer

Registered
I've always told people that Apple is way better than Windows, but the only disadvantage is that a lot of software doesn't work on Apple's.

And then they tell me some crap about how Apple's aren't simple to use or something ridiculous like that.

But the last few days the lack of software for Mac has been annoying me and I am wondering whether Windows is perhaps better than Apple.

Windows might not look as nice and everything else, but on a Windows you can do whatever you want.

Can someone please explain to me why Apple IS better than Windows.

PS - I am 16 years old, so don't start telling me loads of complex reasons why Apple is better than Windows. I'm a regular home user, not a web designer, or graphics designer or programmer.

Thanks

It's monitor not "moniter". Should fix your sig, and/or activate spellcheck.

I'd be interested in hearing what software applications don't have a peer on the Mac side.

Rather than rehashing all the old chestnuts, why do YOU use Macs? What do you like about them? Why don't you own a PC if you're not a designer or programmer?

ye. tell me.

i have mac's at home because my dad gets Mac's because he is says there better.

why is mac better than windows?

im sure there are 10,000 people on this site that can convince me that Apple is better than Windows.

i don't need someone to ask me why i use a mac!
<hr>
nearly every program on the web doesn't work on a mac.

for example, i can't connect my phone to my computer because it's a mac.

i can't convert files to .3gp and get it to play on my phone properly, because it's a mac.

there are 100s of applications that run on windows and not on mac - and there is no mac version

Eliezer, I don't think such a thread will lead anywhere.
An operating system is a system you work on. The applications you need for your work or entertainment specify your choice on the os. If you are into gaming, then you might want to use windows as a platform. If you are into software developing you might rather pick unix. If you are into graphic design, macosx might be your choice. See, it's so much dependant on what you want to do with it. Most of the apps I use are better on macosx. Together with some hardware-related aspects this became the reason I chose mac.
Your questions is like: what's the best car? Can you say that?

Name the programs? And just because you can't get your phone to work doesn't mean it's Apple's fault More likely operator error. I send video to my Nokia all of the time. Not a problem yet. And I can sync my smartphone via a bluetooth-enabled pda to bypass the lack of MLSyncability so far.

You ask questions but you're afraid to answer them yourself?

eliezer said:
for example, i can't connect my phone to my computer because it's a mac.

i can't convert files to .3gp and get it to play on my phone properly, because it's a mac.

What phone are you using? I've had no problems connecting my Sony Ericsson T39m, T68i and T610 with my Mac over Bluetooth.

And to create 3gp content, you need to use QuickTime Pro.

what sort of phone do you have? and what software have you got that supports 3gpp better than Quicktime!?

i dont bluetooth. dont worry about the movie on phone problem. thats in another forum. i have a nokia 7600 btw.

im a regular home user, are you saying that the windows operating system is better than the mac one for regular users?

i thought this site would be full of people that love apple's and people that are trying to convert the whole world to using mac's. lol. i was wrong.

i really cannot believe that you people are telling me that the only thing mac is good for is graphics design!

i have a nokia 7600 and i can view files converted to .3gp by imTOO converter for Windows, on my phone.

but not qt pro converted files

btw, to send files to my phone i use email. but now email is costing me money on my phone. so i don't want to use that.

i'm getting a bluetooth for one night tonight to what its like and if it works

All you had to do was search a little and you'd find plenty to back whichever train of thought floats your boat.
If OSX is too complicated for you, go back to Windows. Simple as that.

eliezer: Make sure you don't troll too much. Are you really interested in knowing why Macs are better than PCs? Or do you just believe it ain't true and won't listen to our arguments, anyway?

Well, I'll add mine, anyway: I don't have to worry about virus protection etc. on my Mac. I can actually _read_ my E-Mail without having to suspect it might contain something that will bring my computer to its knees. That lets me work instead of worrying. And I like that. Apple: Better.

eliezer, it's "Graphic Design" not "Graphics Design" and I don't believe that's what anyone is telling you at all.

What we ARE telling you is that for us, Apple is better. No one here is trying to convert you to liking something you don't. I think the reason you're finding it difficult to get a straight answer out of us is because we didn't join this forum to defend our decision to be on the Macintosh platform.

You're young - so let me give you a little lesson in life. You should never have to be told what you like or dislike, that's something you have to discover for yourself. This isn't third-period math class, where you're buddy has the answer to question #3 on the test. What type of computer you use, the vcr you buy, the car you drive and cloths you wear are things you get to decide on your own.

If you like PCs, use a PC; if you like Macs, use a mac - seems simple to me.

How is it that he is jumping back and forth from typing like an English student, to typing like a, erm... 16 year old that he claims to be? Wow, mind boggling. It's like the Superman / Clark Kent effect.

I must have missed something, I didn't hear anyone say "Macs are only good for graphic design" except you eliezer, but it sounded more like a question than statement. Well maybe someone did say something, but I have a tendency to filter out things I don't want to hear/read :)

Anyhoo, I have one friend who is a musician. He uses his Mac to edit recordings and such. I'm tone deaf so I don't quite understand all the work involved. But yeah, he tells me Macs are great in the music and sound line of work. Especially when recording, you really don't want a noisy computer humming in the background.

As far as Windows vs. MacOS... Danger! Danger!

eliezer said:
im a regular home user, are you saying that the windows operating system is better than the mac one for regular users?

i thought this site would be full of people that love apple's and people that are trying to convert the whole world to using mac's. lol. i was wrong.
Ahh, there's your problem. You assume to much. Don't assume. If the word "assume" makes you giggle, my apologies, replace is it with "presume."

Regarding your first statement, no one said that, you just presumed that on your own will. And as for your second statement... not every Mac user is a raving maniac. Saying things like you are saying just makes us look bad. So chillax.

Zammy has a good point.

I have been using PCs for ages.
I have a mac mini for 10 days. I am happy because it's small, allows me to test the mac world, and because I found it easier to make some things: I created a DVD of my newborn child in 30 minutes. There are some PC applications allowing you to do so, but really to my mind Apple makes it simpler for many things.

I use CUBASE on my PC for audio recordings
I use Garageband on the mac and it's great for some parts apparently, and i'm just discovering it.
I play Farcry on my PC.
I will definitly use the mac for Pictures, and Movies management.

Back to Zammy's point: What do you do with computers ? then what is YOUR best choice ? or do you even have to make a choice ? I'll keep my PC for Farcry and will discover more easy things to do on my Mac.

It seems to me that the mac world is opening to many things, but still there seems to be some things missing in the mac world (games come late, application ?? i don't know... I have been looking for a USB Wifi dongle and there seems not to be much mac compatible...)

I don't know why everyone is all worked up over this, I think eliezer's question is sincere. Unfortunately the answer to that question is very subjective. I use my ibook as my main machine (I guess what could be called average home user use: email, web surfing, digital content like photo's and music) and I have no complaints. If I want to play a game, obviously I boot up my PC because most just aren't available on Macs.. I think that will change though as Apple gets more market share.. but for the moment I still use my PC for certain things. I personally prefer OSX to XP (as I'm sure many people here do as well) and again thats personal preference.

I like my mac because I can do what I want without having to reboot 6 times and its just a more elegant OS. Also for work (unix) I can still use it which isn't the case for my PC.

Basically, Macs are renown for their ability to efficiently and easily manage digital media (pictures, movies, music)... so if thats your thing... you might come back to your mac after trying to do that stuff on your PC... It can still be done on your PC... but its just not as easy...

In conclusion, the best thing to do is to try using a PC for a while.. and then you'll know which is best for you.

umm - enter the nit-picker... :)

You can't compare Apple to Windows. Apple is a computer company, Windows is an operating system.

If you get straight what you want to compare, you can do so. For every type of software that runs on Windows, there is a comparable app that runs on Mac OS. It may be the same exact program, or a similar one written by another company. How each one works, whether the Mac OS app or the Windows exe completes the task better, is a matter of subjective analysis.

Or you could go the other way and compare Apple machines to - Toshibas, Dells, Compaqs or others.
I still have two LCIIs running System 7.5 and being used on a daily basis, and a couple dead pentium IIs stuffed under the bed. :) Hands down the equipment rocks. (admittedly though - build quality has suffered a bit of late).

my mac is brilliant because it's solid, very stable, dependable, and i can do my work on it.

i could do my work on a pc, just as easily. but i like my mac. it's a nicer way of doing things - everything is impressive on a daily basis - something actually makes me go wow! at least once or twice a week... i like that. it's pleasant, and stable, and fast. there's something extra - noone loves pc's, yet as soon as i got a mac, my geekiness soared.... i love her

eliezer said:
i really cannot believe that you people are telling me that the only thing mac is good for is graphics design!

Nonsense. You are completely misunderstanding Zammy's point. He's giving you an example. You need to specify exactly what software you are trying to use and as others have said, any software available on Windows will almost certainly have a similar alternative on OS X.

Personally, I use OS X mainly because it is UNIX done right. I know, some traditional UNIX gurus will complain about how OS X doesn't adhere to UNIX standards (like ignoring most of what goes on in /etc), but for my needs it suffices. I get all the open source applications I need via fink, and I get to use commercial software like MS Office to interact with the rest of the working world that has standardized on Microsoft Windows.

There is also TexShop, a brilliant piece of software that makes working with LaTeX fun. I don't think you have anything similar on Windows, or Linux for that matter. If there is, tell me so I can tell my supervisor who is stuck on Windows! Related to LaTeX is BibDesk, a bibliography manager that to my knowledge has no equal on Windows or Linux. Sure, there are commercial alternatives, but BibDesk is free :).

On the office suite side, Office 2004 is available for the Mac. Doesn't run as well as the Windows version, but it works. For presentations, Keynote blows Powerpoint away in terms of visual presentation and it won't be available on the PC for the visible future.

There is nothing that I need on Windows that I don't have on the Mac. Well, that's a lie. I'd normally need a de-fragmenting tool on Windows, an Anti-Virus package, and some other maintenance tool like Norton to keep the awful registry in good shape. There aren't any spyware cleaners like Spybot or Ad-Aware on OS X either. So I guess there are loads of software that I need on Windows, but aren't available (or needed) on OS X :D.

Back