Apple Pro Speaker problem

Canada-Man

My team was the Expos
Hi everyone!

I wanted to post this on Apple's discussions but it's not working very well these days...

So maybe someone can help!

This morning as I was watching a QuickTime video of Marylin Manson my Apple Pro Speakers started to make a static-like noise. (You know just like when you set the volume to maximum but nothing plays, you hear a small noise).

So I was wondering: is this caused by Marylin Manson and the devil took over my speakers? or it is something else that I do not know... The sound isn't too loud so I almost can't hear it, but I hear it, and it's starting to bug me...

I restarted the computer, nothing changed. I rebooted in OS 9, same problem. So I think it's a problem with the Apple Pro Speaker jack.

Anyone has something good to tell me?

By the way, this is my system:

iMac G4 700 MHz, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.3 and I don't have iFire, as I know this causes a few problems...

Thanks!

I know this sounds silly, but try reseating the plug into the jack in the back of the computer. It could be as simple as an improperly seated plug.

If at all possible, try turning the plug clockwise or counterclockwise while listening to some music... if your speakers crackle or come back to life, there's a good chance the plug or jack might be dirty, or you may have accidentally kicked the cord and caused the plug to become unseated.

Thanks but I've already tried that!

However, when I turn the plug it makes a scratching sound, but I believe all speakers do this?

Well, yeah, if the plugs have enough dust, dirt, or skin grease on them, they'll pop as you turn the plug -- it's just the plug making a good contact and then losing it due to the turning of the plug.

Over the years, my G4's audio-out jack has become quite sensitive. If I do so much as jiggle the plug, the audio crackles and sometimes disappears, until I find a suitable position for the plug to be in by turning/reseating it.

It also sounds like the built-in amplifier in the iMac may be damaged or something. Line-level audio is always sent to the plug regardless of amplifier settings, but if the amplifier has gone bad, then all you'll hear is a faint noise, much lower than would be expected.

Is the iMac still under warranty?

No... I didn't take AppleCare...

I'll try cleaning the contacts, and if it doesn't change anything, I'll wait until my semester is over, and I'll send it for repair :-(

Thanks for the info!

hey canada-man! did you manage to get your speakers fixed caused one of mine has just died (right hand one) :( and I was wondering if they were indeed fixable?

guapagirl said:
hey canada-man! did you manage to get your speakers fixed caused one of mine has just died (right hand one) :( and I was wondering if they were indeed fixable?

Hi guapagirl

The problem is still there... but they work well outside of that, and I can't hear the noise anymore, I got used to it... If your speaker is not working at all, then we don't have the same problem...

Back