Apple: Release the iMac G5 already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Shrek

Registered
APPLE!!!,

It's been rumored for 6 going on 7 months now and it still isn't out! Grrrrr! :mad:

Don't you realize I've been waiting on this system for 2 years! I WANT ONE VERY VERY BADLY!!! Release it very soon! DON'T WAIT 'TILL CHRISTMAS!!! Get out in time to gain some momentum before Christmas. Then it will really sell very well! :D JUST RELEASE ONE FAST!!!

Even more furiously,
King Shrek

Apple, release the G7 20Ghz NOW!!!!! I want it soooooo bad! And please, before Christmas cause this way they will sell very well. :)
You got my point? ;)

For the moment I'm quite content with what I have.I could see being anxious for something like a G5 only if I was to use it to it's limits.But thats just me.

If you're going to be doing that, buy a Powermac G5. The iMac is a consumer level product after all.

lots of products have been rumorred for a long time, some will definitely come to fruition, and some won't. Apple will release it when they're sure they can put out a quality product.

i think be patient, and you'll get it at some point.

now where the heck are the G5 Powerbooks???????????
:D

quiksan said:
lots of products have been rumorred for a long time, some will definitely come to fruition, and some won't. Apple will release it when they're sure they can put out a quality product.

i think be patient, and you'll get it at some point.

now where the heck are the G5 Powerbooks???????????
:D

Yeah, I know, but it just gets really annoying when Apple makes us wait way too long for upgraded products. ::sleepy::

Why don't you get yourself a Dual G4 powermac? Some ppl are just into new stuff and simply ignor very powerful available options. A Dual G4 should still beat any upcoming G5 iMac. You need 64bit? Beside the very debatable benefits, it will still take one more year till tiger and some 64bit applications are available. So, what's the rush for?
And honestly, I don't want apple to release some semi-proved computers just to satisfy some in-patient users needs. I would rather wait one more year for a nice and stable mac than get a rushed one. And right now, you can get a mac for ANY purpose.

kendall said:
yeah, you definitely need a G5 to develop simple games.

That's what I figured. :)

You know the BIGGEST reason why I think so many potential switchers don't buy Macs these days? Because they can't afford a PowerMac and there is no other cheaper alternative that's even worth the price tag that's on it.

This is why I feel Apple should introduce an iMac with a G5 upgrade very soon. Heck, Apple could benefit even more by putting a G5 in the Emac, too; think about how many schools would start buying Macs again. ::angel::

Putting a G5 into an eMac wouldn't necessarily make a school buy them. Schools buy the cheapest computers they can cause their budgets are so small. Even $900/per computer is a lot of money, especially when you have to buy 30 to 100 of them. Most schools can find a deal through Dell that'll give then 2 P4s with monitors for the price of 1 eMac. It's not hard to figure out why they've been embracing the dark side lately, given that.

In fact, chances are we won't see a G5 in an eMac for quite some time. It would just cost way too much right now to do it. Maybe in a year or so the costs could be brought down and it'll happen.

BUT...schools buying eMacs aren't grabbing them for big time work (Image editing, Video, Animation, Audio, etc.). They're grabbing them for general typing and use. A G4 is more than capable enough for that, even a G3 can do it quite well.

If all you're developing is simple games, then there's no reason a G4 won't work well for you right now. I don't really see why a 800+ mhz G3 wouldn't work well either, actually. Buying a G5 would be like buying a tractor trailer to haul your fiberglass canoe around, when a simple small pickup would have done just fine. <G>

mdnky said:
Putting a G5 into an eMac wouldn't necessarily make a school buy them. Schools buy the cheapest computers they can cause their budgets are so small. Even $900/per computer is a lot of money, especially when you have to buy 30 to 100 of them. Most schools can find a deal through Dell that'll give then 2 P4s with monitors for the price of 1 eMac. It's not hard to figure out why they've been embracing the dark side lately, given that.

In fact, chances are we won't see a G5 in an eMac for quite some time. It would just cost way too much right now to do it. Maybe in a year or so the costs could be brought down and it'll happen.

BUT...schools buying eMacs aren't grabbing them for big time work (Image editing, Video, Animation, Audio, etc.). They're grabbing them for general typing and use. A G4 is more than capable enough for that, even a G3 can do it quite well.

If all you're developing is simple games, then there's no reason a G4 won't work well for you right now. I don't really see why a 800+ mhz G3 wouldn't work well either, actually. Buying a G5 would be like buying a tractor trailer to haul your fiberglass canoe around, when a simple small pickup would have done just fine. <G>

You really think a G5 would cost more to put in an eMac or an iMac (or even a PowerBook or iBook)? I beg to differ. Know why? Did you notice that when Apple upgraded it's G4 PowerMac lineup to G5s the price of a high-end PowerMac went from $3,799 to $2,999--A $1,800 PRICE DROP!!! Knowing this, I actually believe that if a G5 went into the iMac and the eMac the prices on these systems would actually plunge, not go up.

BTW, how much does a G5 processor, motherboard and memory cost? How about a G4 processor, motherboard and memory? If you find an answer, please post it here so we can compare the difference. ;)

BTW, by buying a G5 system I would certainly get much more longevity out of it than with a G3 or G4 system, that's for sure. And right now, that's seems like the most financially responsible thing for me to do because I don't plan on buying another computer for quite a while.

man, you are going to give yourself a headache with all these desires. 3799 - 2999 = 800 not 1800.

>>>Knowing this, I actually believe that if a G5 went into the iMac and the eMac the prices on these systems would actually plunge, not go up.<<<<

revelations! there is so much more to this than meets the eye. business for one. ibm vs motorolla. lots lots lots. in fact, i dont know for sure, but i question your 3799 quote. fact is, you want an awful lot for not much. a g5 for smallish games? be serious. you want a new computer. you can afford an imac. hence apple should release a new g5 imac. thats what it comes down to.

how bout a little cheese with that whine

cfleck said:
man, you are going to give yourself a headache with all these desires. 3799 - 2999 = 800 not 1800.

>>>Knowing this, I actually believe that if a G5 went into the iMac and the eMac the prices on these systems would actually plunge, not go up.<<<<

revelations! there is so much more to this than meets the eye. business for one. ibm vs motorolla. lots lots lots. in fact, i dont know for sure, but i question your 3799 quote. fact is, you want an awful lot for not much. a g5 for smallish games? be serious. you want a new computer. you can afford an imac. hence apple should release a new g5 imac. thats what it comes down to.

how bout a little cheese with that whine

Of course I never said that I expect iMacs and eMacs to drop $1800 in price, but I do believe that they will drop to more reasonable prices and will be more closely comparable in specs/prices with their PC counterparts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back