Apple: Release the iMac G5 already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, King Shrek, I really don't get your point. What makes you look for a G5 iMac finally? Performance? Price? Both? If both, why not the dual G4? Considering your other thread, it looks like you are not buying the hardware by its purpose but by the level of new technologies inside. Well, for that you will always have to wait ;)
And then your "desperate" comparisons to the pc world..
Giving you one example: I am very much into sequence alignment tools such as BLAST. On my G4 1Ghz I am outperforming our Dell P4 3.2 HT which has 2gb of ram and a very powerful gpu. You see, you can't just go for clock speeds and cache sizes or the generation of the cpu. Just take a look at the software you need the most and check on which system it runs better. If the pc box offers you more speed at a lower price even, then get one. For me it would be really stupid to get a windows box. But generalizing the comparison between mac and pc is a big mistake.

$3799??? You talking Canadian vs. US dollars here? After looking back at some old Mac magazines (Mac Design, early 01) I can assure you base systems were never that expensive for the G4s. Highest I found was from an ad for Mac Zone for their "Ultimate" model (on a scale of Fast, Faster, Faster Yet, Really Fast, Ultimate), a 733mhz, for $3294.

Of course at the release of the G5's (middle of line model was in the $2000 range) you could buy a DP G4 (old mid line model) for $1800. When they added another processor to the mid G5 (DP 1.8), the price jumped to $2500.

Zammy-Sam said:
Hmmm, King Shrek, I really don't get your point. What makes you look for a G5 iMac finally? Performance? Price? Both? If both, why not the dual G4? Considering your other thread, it looks like you are not buying the hardware by its purpose but by the level of new technologies inside. Well, for that you will always have to wait ;)
And then your "desperate" comparisons to the pc world..
Giving you one example: I am very much into sequence alignment tools such as BLAST. On my G4 1Ghz I am outperforming our Dell P4 3.2 HT which has 2gb of ram and a very powerful gpu. You see, you can't just go for clock speeds and cache sizes or the generation of the cpu. Just take a look at the software you need the most and check on which system it runs better. If the pc box offers you more speed at a lower price even, then get one. For me it would be really stupid to get a windows box. But generalizing the comparison between mac and pc is a big mistake.

HA HA HA HA!!! A 1 GHz G4 outperforming a P4 3.2 HT!!! HA HA HA HA!!! LOL!!! ROTFL!!! YEAH, RIGHT!!! I ALREADY KNOW BETTER THAN TO BELIEVE THAT SILLINESS!!! :p

mdnky said:
$3799??? You talking Canadian vs. US dollars here? After looking back at some old Mac magazines (Mac Design, early 01) I can assure you base systems were never that expensive for the G4s. Highest I found was from an ad for Mac Zone for their "Ultimate" model (on a scale of Fast, Faster, Faster Yet, Really Fast, Ultimate), a 733mhz, for $3294.

Of course at the release of the G5's (middle of line model was in the $2000 range) you could buy a DP G4 (old mid line model) for $1800. When they added another processor to the mid G5 (DP 1.8), the price jumped to $2500.

$3,799? That price was for the high-end DP 1.42 GHz PowerMac, just before the PowerMac G5 was released and it was in American dollars.

Not in anything I can find here (Macworld, Mac Design, Mac Mall mailers, etc.). Maybe a few specific suppliers ordered some with advanced options, but the base high-end model was never that high.

Oh, it was that high on Apple's website. Are you sure you're looking at a catalog dated around May-June 2003? Are you sure you're looking at a catalog with prices in U.S. dollars?

King Shrek, you don't have so much experiences in Macs, don't you? Our workgroup is going to shift to mac because of this. I know, truth can hurt. You should do a little more research on application performances on different os. It will surprise you how much those big numbers of AMD and Intel boxes are worth.

Zammy-Sam said:
King Shrek, you don't have so much experiences in Macs, don't you? Our workgroup is going to shift to mac because of this. I know, truth can hurt. You should do a little more research on application performances on different os. It will surprise you how much those big numbers of AMD and Intel boxes are worth.

I've spent two years doing the research already. I know what I'm talking about.

Obviously your research was very much focused on games. I have a 2.6Ghz at home as well and there is not even one application that performs better than my G4 1Ghz (am talking about those I use: web browsing, movie playback, office applications..). And the BLAST tool: download the best blast tool for mac and the best for windows (use versiontracker) and you will see how much faster G4 processors handle this kind of tasks. You will see your research wasn't broad enough

Zammy-Sam said:
Obviously your research was very much focused on games. I have a 2.6Ghz at home as well and there is not even one application that performs better than my G4 1Ghz (am talking about those I use: web browsing, movie playback, office applications..). And the BLAST tool: download the best blast tool for mac and the best for windows (use versiontracker) and you will see how much faster G4 processors handle this kind of tasks. You will see your research wasn't broad enough

No, my research was NOT ENTIRELY focused on games. My research was as broad as it gets and very little of it was actually focused on games.

let me guess: you used the intel compiler on the mac and compared it to the intel box :)
No, seriously, how did your research look like and what were your results in detail? I am very interested since I have absolute the opposite opinion about mac vs. pc.

Zammy-Sam said:
let me guess: you used the intel compiler on the mac and compared it to the intel box :)
No, seriously, how did your research look like and what were your results in detail? I am very interested since I have absolute the opposite opinion about mac vs. pc.

No, I looked at benchmarks from trusted Internet sources.

Dude, I never thought I'd say this, but stick with Dell or an alienware or whatever. I think they're more your speed.

Randman said:
Dude, I never thought I'd say this, but stick with Dell or an alienware or whatever. I think they're more your speed.

No, there is one reason why I can't do that: The superiority of Mac OS X over Microsucks Winblows!!! ::evil::

King Shrek, your biased point is:
asking for a G5 iMac because a G5 powermac is too expensive. If performance is what you want to have, why refusing a Dual G4?
This is why I believe you are just into new technology having no clue what it actually brings you. Your so_great game development won't work any better with a G5. And making a general statement out of it, that apple is just too expensive is the next biased point in your arguments.

Zammy-Sam said:
King Shrek, your biased point is:
asking for a G5 iMac because a G5 powermac is too expensive. If performance is what you want to have, why refusing a Dual G4?
This is why I believe you are just into new technology having no clue what it actually brings you. Your so_great game development won't work any better with a G5. And making a general statement out of it, that apple is just too expensive is the next biased point in your arguments.

Please read my reply in the other forum concerning your assumptions.

Yes, a G4 may fulfill my needs for a short time, but a G5 will bring me much more longevity. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back