Apple Remote Access

jwennet

Registered
Does anyone here use it? Thinking about getting it. Can you be an administrator over the web, or does it require a network?

Thanks,

J

Thanks Bob. I'll ask if this makes sense then- I do a lot of freelance work on site with companies, as well as just out at coffee shops, and other places with wireless connections. I am looking to use this as a constant bridge to my files on my home workstation. Does this seem to make sense and be worth the money?

Thanks,
J

ARD will allow you to operate your home machine, send files or retrieve files from it.

There are much less expensive ways to copy files over the internet than Remote Desktop 3. If you simply want to copy files from one place to another, Remote Desktop is overkill. A VPN or even an SSH tunnel would better suit your needs.

If you want total remote management that goes far beyond simply copying files back and forth, then I can't think of a better solution than Remote Desktop 3.

Well...i ended up shelling out for it-before getting this message. Trying to test it out with my dad who's a few states. Having difficulty trying to get it to work. How can I connect to his computer if he is behind a router? He turned on the ARD in his system settings (Tiger). This will be the scenario when I'll be using it for my biz. My base station is on an airport network.

Any thoughts. As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Your dad will need to forward the correct ports on his router to the local machine to let ARD connect through it. The router doesn't know that you're trying to connect to his exact computer, since there could be many computers behind the router. The router needs to be told that traffic coming in on the ARD port needs to go to a certain computer behind the router -- which is "port forwarding."

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=434385&tstart=0

Wow..that's quite beyond my scope of knowledge.

When my Dad hooked his computer directly to the modem, we were able connect easily. Once the we tried putting his machine back onto the router- the computer's IP address was the generic 192.168... format.

So this is where I am totally confused. I intend to set up my G5 to be administered, and running into the same issues. Where, and what are the ports that I need to set up? Do I use the airport utility, network, and/or sharing prefs for this?

Thanks,

J

You have to open the routers setup page. It'll be a web browser, could be 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.0.1, depending on the router.

Go to Port Forwarding and forward port 3283 to the address your machine is getting from the router (192.168....)

Ok...got everything hooked up and running via VNC, but ARD won't allow me full admin privleges- basically just lets me control the window. Can't drag and drop files, or even copy them from the controlled to the admin computer.

Any thoughts?

You have to have an account with admin level privileges on the computer you are logging onto.

Believe I do. The account I log into is my main/admin account (not the root).

The tech that set it up for me sign me up to DYNDNS account. That was the only way that it worked, and only as a VNC setup.

All the necessary ports are open/forwarded to my machine. Not sure what else to do, if there is anything else?

Thanks for the reply,

J

Back