Apple´s Handheld Plans..

Very interesting, we'll see what the outcome is. I hope it is true, but I am not convinced. Some good speculation though.

Not very forward thinking. The article sounds like someone pulled up old apple rumors and brought them back to life, not one bit of forward thinking. clam shell, newton, os x like. If they would have mentioned epad, electronic rotating legal pad, or detachable rotatable notebook lcd or even world first ipad but this doesn't excite me one bit, its like 7 day old sushi thats been left out in the car not wetting my appetite.

You have to give the marketing people that put that QT video together some credit, though. . . . Well done.

Apple making a PDA like device has been one of the most persistent rumors for years now. I don't think it will ever happen (unless it's an evolution of the iPod). Jobs has been quite clear that he feels the PDA market is an area not worth being in. I have to agree. Convergence has made PDAs practically worthless. My Nokia 3650 phone does everything I needed from my Handspring Visor, plus it has a camera and a phone. Why would I want to carry around a PDA on top of this?

I do see the handheld device that is primarily sold as a phone getting more sophisticated. When they make one that can play mp3s (and hold at least 1000 of them), take pictures, make calls, handle notes, keep addresses, memos, send/receive email, surf the web, and play movies - then you'll have something.

Oh, and why we are it, I'd like one that can perform all the functions of a Tricorder.... (a little techie humor...)

It's the much-anticipated vPod. Big whoop.

I highly doubt Apple is going to try to "reinvent" the PDA, especially since the PDA market is a dying breed. Nowadays, people either buy laptops or smart phones, and leave the PDA's for those of us who still think they're worth something, which is turning into a smaller group every day.

And I have a tricorder... 'tis a toy, however... ;) Would that it were real. :)

I'm putting my money on a Apple type cell phone with camera. Syncs with address book, iphoto, ical, mail, and works with ichat. it just makes sense.

peace.

you can allready get phones which double up as mp3 players (here in the UK at least) I heard the US were behind with mobiles for sum reason prob because they use a different band width(or wat eva its called. anyway there are a few I have seen over here - 2 by nokia cant remember who made the others but i'm sure there are others in production and prob avalible in Japan!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/25/business/yourmoney/25jobs.html?8dpc

Found the end instrusting

WHAT new products will be unveiled? No one outside this famously secretive company may know for sure. But because Mr. Jobs has been so publicly critical of tablet computers and hand-held video players, some outsiders have suggested that Apple may choose to offer a Macintosh-style interactive television system for the living room, competing with Media Center PC's, designed by Microsoft and Intel, and with the PSX video game and digital video recorder, soon to be released by Sony.

But another avenue is more likely, according to several people close to the company. Mr. Jobs is legendary for being idiosyncratic and unwilling to follow industry trends. Wouldn't Apple's co-founder want to avoid the crowded market for digital entertainment products, they suggest, and turn his laser focus on a mobile digital communications product?

Last year, the company quietly added two new wireless standards, known as 3GPP and 3GPP2, to its QuickTime software for sending and receiving multimedia over digital cellular networks. Because Apple was an early leader in the Wi-Fi market with its airport wireless networking base station, the reasoning goes, the company may be hard at work on a line of digital mobile phones that would take the company into the fast-growing voice-over-Internet-protocol, or VoIP market.

But if that is Apple's strategy, Mr. Jobs isn't saying. After all, surprise is at the heart of all the company's marketing campaigns, and who would expect less from the man who once rented San Francisco's symphony hall to introduce a new computer? Even for Mr. Jobs and Apple, some things remain the same.

huck said:
I'm putting my money on a Apple type cell phone with camera. Syncs with address book, iphoto, ical, mail, and works with ichat. it just makes sense.

peace.
I'll hold onto it for you. :) ;) :D

speaking of hand held devices..... HAAAAA! Finally i got a Newton Message Pad 2100. On ebay for $120 bucks with all accessories, now im gonna have some fun.

iPod is our new hand held i Think it has a big future too. im hoping when the music blitz dies down and apple is 100% the king of music we may see other features, even other iApp intergration i dont know why but i forsee iPhoto being the next major player, how much more usefull would iLife be.

Back