Apple stock

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
Anyone notice how high Apple's stock is?
$31.04 USD per share as of 2:18 PM EDT

It's gone up 0.92 cents just today thanks to the iTunes Music Store announcment.

It's been a good year for Apple stock!

Heh... I don't think I'll ever buy Apple stock -- it's too "up and down", and is probably not a wise investment, other than being able to say, "Hey, I own Apple stock!"

I think I'd dump it once it got really high cause then you know it's going to go down again, or get split.

That's exactly how Apple helped make many people rich around the millennium. Apple's stock jumped from about $20 to about $70 in a matter of a week or two. It was insane. Then, shortly after, when the G4s started to get long in the tooth, it plummetted down to $15 and has only recently begun to recover.

VERY unpredictable stock. Not a wise long-term investment. Hardly a wise short-term investment. I'd rather put my money in IBM, and we all know what people think of IBM stock... ;)

If Apple moves into the home entertainment market, it could be a smart investment. I would put a little money down on it just to see. I think people are fed up with Windows and Longhorn is gonna be a huge flop. It won't take long for Apple to take over if it keeps working the entertainment side of things. My vote: buy some stock next time it drops.

Just wait until WWDC when steve announces some awesome out of this world stuff. If anything, IMHO, I think apple is a long term investment. They have so much room to grow ... in computer market share, enterprise, and more media.

I think steve learned from some mistakes (the cube) but won't make them again. Expect more revolutionary moves by apple.

If Apple moves into the home entertainment arena, then it would most undoubtedly be a BAD idea to invest long-term. It's a bad idea to invest long-term in any company that moves into new areas, as the performance of that company is as of yet unknown with regard to the new areas.

The best companies to invest long-term in are established companies with track records in the areas they compete in.

If Apple moves into the home entertainment market, then I would buy stock now and sell it at the peak of excitement, collect the cash, then watch the stock go steadily back down. That's not saying I expect Apple to fail in the home entertainment market, it's just a fact that stock prices soar over speculation and new product introductions, then falls slowly as excitement wears off and the company establishes themselves better.

I bought 10 shares almost two years ago. Obviously, with only 10 shares I did it more to show my solidarity with Apple than to add a lot to my portfolio, but if I were to sell now, I would be up $10 a share, not a bad return. If it does get to $50 or $60, I'd probably sell and take the money and apply it to my student loans, or maybe a new iPod, HA!!! Otherwise, I'll just keep it in the portfolio so that I can say that I speak for Apple when I make statements on message boards.

Any stock today isn't a wise ling term investment...the market's just too unstable. For day traders it can be a blessing and a nightmare rolled into one...I've had just blessings luckily <G>. I should have grabbed some Apple back when it was in the $21 to $25 range. For now the bulk of my investments will stay in Real Estate and I'm happy with them.

The only long term stock I have is some I got as a gift in the early 80's, Cincinnati Gas & Electric (Cinergy now). It's done alright, pitty I sold a large chunk off in late 99. Think I have a whole whopping 15 shares left of it...oh well, the Florida trip it paid for was a blast at least.

Now up by $2.05 in one day, and there hasn't even been anything announced today. Lets hope it stays high for a while.

Day traders dream today...too bad I slept through it <G>. $2.05 could have been a approx. $2200/profit before taxes for me...darn, that almost could have bought me a new G5!

Apple shares have .. doubled in six months? Not bad, not bad at all ... and the economy world wide is slowly picking up again ... Like Jobs said: "We will continue to innovate throughout the downturn and be raedy when the economy picks up." Looks like they are indeed ready. Interesting times ahead.

There are still many great long term stock picks out their just waiting to be found. Though I do own quite a bit of Apple stock and have added to it many times over the years I did sell some yesterday (for a loss... which I needed to before the end of the month) Though I don't plan on selling any more for a while and may actually add to it. Unfortunately you'll probably see a good 15-20% dump coming fairly shortly since their P/E is quite high in this sector. If they can get a good strong quarter and boost revenue by 10 to 20% we might see Apple stock hit 50 by the end of the year but I'm definitely not a taker at these numbers. Up until last year with the demise of the macworld shows Apple was one of the easiest plays out there. You knew exactly when to buy and sell and could make a killing and it took quite a few years for people to figure it out. Then when they did it started messing with buy/sell dates and you actually had to think about it for a moment before you called your broker.

Back