Apple Store shows a G5 ad

I think they were hacked, this would explain why apple.com strangely went down yesterday. Why? Because the hackers were planting a seed. I'm not sure if store.apple.com and apple.com are connected in any way.

Originally posted by buggerit
Frikkin' GOLD!! Izzy - I assume you didn't doctor that screenshot. That pretty much confirms what's going on I thinks... Boxes at applecentres (confirmed), all this talk - we all win! zonino!

LOL...I like the aussie specs better than the real ones.

I have neither the skills nor the time to doctor a screenshot. It's legit, you have my word on that.

I also posted a screenshot over at macfora.com earlier in the evening.

So be it...I guess there's no way for me to prove that it's real.

You can believe it or not...unfortunately I haven't been posting here much lately and I think probably the only person who could vouch for me as a character witness here would be Ed.

LOL...funny how I have to come back and respond. I guess I'm not used to being called a liar.

This seems interesting. Although part of me doesn't care right now and can wait till next monday, the other half of me feels that those were true specs. I wonder how Jobs felt about this...heh, prolly did it himself :p

Lets just say, whoever had the job of putting the info up there, will not have the privilege to do so on Monday ;)

Izzy, wasn't calling anyone anything. Just think it's fair to have some skepticism, especially after one photoshopped advert was posted and there's more rumors flying about that you could swat with a big stick. Personally, I'm taking all of these rumors with a grain of salt, especially a few days before we know. Apologies if it seemed an insinuation that you weren't telling the truth. But look at the board alone and see how many threads are going on rumors of everything from 10.3 to Germans opening boxes, etc, and you can see how one might be a little suspicious.

I think it is very, VERY strange ... maybe fake maybe not, but let me tell you why:

- No mention at all of any kind of 64 bitness

- No word of caches

- nothing about how many HD & optical fit in and what type

Other specs are listed in a different order than now and grouped differently.

I don't know ... we'll see on monday...

G5? Err, G5 is Motorola's trademark, and the fastest ones run at the amazing speed of 1 GHz :p

Originally posted by Randman
Izzy, wasn't calling anyone anything. Just think it's fair to have some skepticism, especially after one photoshopped advert was posted and there's more rumors flying about that you could swat with a big stick. Personally, I'm taking all of these rumors with a grain of salt, especially a few days before we know. Apologies if it seemed an insinuation that you weren't telling the truth. But look at the board alone and see how many threads are going on rumors of everything from 10.3 to Germans opening boxes, etc, and you can see how one might be a little suspicious.

No offense taken...I can understand the skepticism somewhat and would probably be leaning on the side of caution as well. I just can't wait until we finally find out what Steve has up his sleeve.

i guess after last nights incident, noone doubts that G5s will be available after WWDC :)

the news (and photos)are all over the web
maCNN
MacRumors
Think Secret etc...

unless someone hacked the apple site (hhahaha) ... these are all real . and they look pretty amazing.

4 more dayss.... i cant wait.. its eXXXciting:)

Part of me hopes it's true because some of the rumors sound really killer (especially the ones on "Germans opened the boxes'', but a small part of me hopes it's not true because my budget doesn't allow for one right now. Dang.

Well, the 'incorrectly posted' info on Apple's site seems to dispell those German boxes (unless they opened the Dell boxes instead!!!!) ;)

Anyone noticed that the G5 spec list and the G4 spec list use different fontcolors and are different in some other areas?
I think they were being hacked, but we will see on Monday (Or maybe later, cause Stevie is pissed and keeps his G5 for at least another week to himself :p )

...I certaintly would like Apple NOT to raise their PowerMacs/Books lines prices!

Cause if they can deliver all those "rumored" specifications at the same prices, if not lower, then their sales will sky-rocket! :D

Also, something that what we don't yet is what kind of graphics cards will be used: Will we see Radeon >=9x00 and/or nVidia >=FX levels or something even better at least in Custom Built configs? :rolleyes:

Damn the coming Monday seems like a year away! :mad:

Even, if it will turn out that there will not be THAT dramatic hardware releases/announcements from Steve's Keynote, I cannot wait for this WWDC because I have this email telling me:
"On June 23, WWDC 2003 attendees will be the first to explore the
powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X,
codenamed "Panther." This year's conference is shaping up to be the
biggest in Apple's history.

If you want to create products that fully exploit the next
generation of innovative technologies from Apple, deliver the most
compelling media experiences for your users, or leverage the open
source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions
within your enterprise, then you definitely want to be at WWDC 2003."

:p :D ;)

:)

For the record; the screenshot that Izzy put up is real. I saw the website and it was really there. There was no manipulation on the screen shot. I do believe someone hacked the Apple site. I hope the description of the new machine isn't real, because they're talking PPC rather than 970. 3 USB2 ports? Nah. Plus the title of the section of the webpage said "Choose your PowerMac G4"....not consistent.

And lastly, Apple pulled it.

A ballsy hack. Nothing more.

... but isn't it entirely possible that apple did this on purpose?

what reason would they have to leak the specs on purpose, you ask? well, i think the fact that there are already 38 posts in this thread speaks for itself.

the perfect marketing device: leaked information.

Back