Apple & Sun?

hey man.....ready for the big kick-off 16/08/03?! The mighty whites will be a shock for you all.....

anyway.....

hahaha...southern softies!!

btw - you're welcome to him....you'll maybe get 10 good games out of him next season!! :)

That's not what the rumour was about, xadhoom. Please read referenced articles. :)

So the idea is for Sun and Apple to team up...only thing I can't figure out is what good that does to Apple...they got a good OS, and they got the consumer market, what could SUN give them?

Dell did i, yes. Look at the Nasdaq, no one else did such a growth in the computer business.

Sun could help Apple in the server market (but after Apple selling 280 or so xServes to the US Navy, maybe they don't need that help... oh hang on, the Navy are gonna run Yellow Dog Linux, not OS X! :( )

Depending on what the navy needs the Xserves, Linux is quite okay. However, I think it's a rather strange decision to use Apple's hardware with Linux. I'd have chosen x86 hardware for Linux. However: Apple's still selling lots of hardware, then, which is good. Where Sun could help? Apple is lacking in the big iron area and has problems entering the big business. Like someone once said: "Apple doesn't HAVE a business strategy, they have a consumer strategy."

Apple makes nice desktops which run on a Unix(alike) operating system, Sun makes high powered servers which run on (guess what...) a Unix operating system.

Apple is good with the consumer and niche markets but is nowhere in the corporate market where PC's dominate. Sun is nowhere in the consumer market but has a large market share in corporate servers.

I'm not sure what Sun would get out of an alliance with Apple (except perhaps OS X for their work station class machines) but for Apple it could be a powerful tool to leaverage themselves back in to the corporate market and thus start to gain more market share overall.

It would allow Sun/Apple to market cost effective end to end infrastructure solutions against Windows/Intel more easily than if they were trying to do the same thing independantly since Apple and Sun are stong in different areas but have much in common.

Just a thought.

The NAVY is using the XServes for image processing, probably to make real-time images from sonar. Much, if not all of this information is vectorized and utilizes the AltiVec unit in the G4. Intel hardware simply cannot compete in that arena. Apple clearly shines with this particular feature in the G4. Also, Apple hardware has a lower failure rate than most Wintel hardware (28% failure rate for Dell PCs). When a submarine is under water for 6 months, you can't have another PC FedEx'd to you over night.

Back