Apple takes stance on Proposition 8

bbloke

Registered
I just noticed this on Apple's Hot News page:

Apple said:
No on Prop 8
October 24, 2008
Apple is publicly opposing Proposition 8 and making a donation of $100,000 to the No on 8 campaign. Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees’ same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person’s fundamental rights — including the right to marry — should not be affected by their sexual orientation. Apple views this as a civil rights issue, rather than just a political issue, and is therefore speaking out publicly against Proposition 8.

It's not often that I've seen companies publicly state their views on civil liberties issues!

Don't Mac users and gays alike each constitute about 5% of the population? One would expect Mac users to be less bigoted.

Go Apple!

I'm not entirely sure what I think about companies sponsoring political propositions, but I guess that's the capitalistic world. At least I find it's a good cause.

A bit of ethics doesn't do any harm. Yes, Apple's response may please many potential customers, but then it may displease many others.

In California, a "liberal" state, it doesn't matter. People will still buy Apple products, but they'll do it with a frown on their face. I'm glad Apple isn't afraid to state exactly how they stand on the issue. I live in a very conservative part of California and "Yes On 8's" and McCain posters are everywhere in my neighborhood. Me, being in an interracial marriage, with a bi-racial child, have seen my small share of discrimination and closed mindedness here.

Only a few generations ago, my race could not vote because of who they where, could not sit in the clean area of a restaurant because of who they were, and couldn't drink from the clean fountain because of who they were, and 50 years ago, my wife and I would get heavily disrespected for marrying each other.... why would I deny the right of a group of people to be included in the word marriage?? Apple is right, in my opinion this IS THE modern day civil rights issue, except it doesn't involve races any more, its sexuality.

I have a lot of trouble understanding why anyone would deny something from another group of people especially when it doesn't affect the whole negatively. I could tell if it raised taxes or something. But the "Yes On 8's" are mainly conservatives who are afraid, but I'll stop short of calling them bigots, I have close friends who are "Yes".

I have a lot of trouble understanding why anyone would deny something from another group of people especially when it doesn't affect the whole negatively. I could tell if it raised taxes or something. But the "Yes On 8's" are mainly conservatives who are afraid, but I'll stop short of calling them bigots, I have close friends who are "Yes".

They do not want "them" to appear "normal."

Such barriers are circular arguments: it creates an inequality that then justifies inequality.

--J.D.

Back