Apple to go x86 for sure. Got proof.

whats wrong with a double post? it was an accident im not going to jump on him and delete it because he made a mistake :p

maybe i should just delete yours for complaining ;) ;) ;)

heh..i know, i was searching for something completely different and came across this. I was jsust saying how those new x86 processors are pretty sweet...oh, wait...

lol. But I'm sure some people are looking at this thread and having that joyous moment of "I told you so"

I know I did. I saw the title and I thought, "Okay, yeah right, time to get the machine guns ready." But then I saw the date, and I saw there was no need, since terran74 has been proved wrong by the wonderful, magnificent G5. He was full of 5h17 when he posted it, and he should probably retract on his statement.

If Apple stopped selling hardware, 90% of their business, they would probably go out of business or have to lay off most of their force.

Not only can you run Kazaa on the new Mac, but you can load Windows XP Professional right along side it! The new Macs will also boast the ability to run Windows programs natively, so there will be no need to switch between operating systems. In addition, you can use your Windows logon to login to Mac OS X and vice-versa, eliminating the need for separate Macintosh- and Windows-based computers. What a grand time in computer history indeed.

So I wonder if Terran will post a retraction now that he's been proven wrong.

Apple moving to the G5 should (hopefully) finally put the x86 rumors to rest for good. Apple has invested alot of R&D money and time in the G5 and it clearly has legs. IBM is still a viable partner in the AIM alliance, and although Moto isn't the star child anymore, it's still part of the game plan so long as they can continue to make chips ideal for Apple's portables (which the G5 is not yet suited for).

When will the pundits learn - Apple makes alot of moneyoff of hardware sales. Sure, Apple is moving in to additional consumer markets (iTMS, iPod, iSight), most of which will be cross platform. But the real gravy train is the hardware sales. I haven't seen the numbers, but I bet hardware accounts for more than 75% of Apples bottom line. It would take a whole lot of successful consumer items to compensate for that number....

Here's a conversation between me and one of my wintel-loving friends, when he wanted to buy a laptop. He's going to buy a Dell laptop btw. Feel free to try and sway him our side on AIM if you want.

MikeXpop says: just get an iBook
jbchris96 says: can i just f-disk it and install windows? lol
MikeXpop says: Chris, the stupidity of that sentence hurts me
MikeXpop says: I mean, physically, it hurt
jbchris96 says: lol
MikeXpop says: my brain is in pain
jbchris96 says: can i?

Well, I'm glad I didn't pay any attention to this type of stupidity an dbought my iMac …

Jeez … These five months have been wonderful!!!

:D

Tell him to get an iBook, VPC, and Windows. Then he can have the best of the Mac and the mediocrity of Windows, all on one computer!

I don't think Terran will be retracting his statement, or even returning to this site any time soon. His last post was on April 20th (4/20 hee... :)), http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=209849#post209849 which also was a completely off-base speculation, though not necessarily on Terran's part. But I don't think he's part of the site anymore.

Mr. Roadie did (no hard feelings, sir :)).

I remember when this thread was first posted, I just about blew my top at that guy, I was so upset ;)

That's Mr. Roadie to y...oh..

Heh j/k

anyway i just had to comment on this when i saw it...some people just like to be know-it-alls i guess.

Know-it-all's who know absolutely nothing. I just finished the July Macworld (yes, I know, I'm behind on the times) last night, well this morning I should say, and the last column was talking about how Apple would lose tons of money and have to significantly reduce their size if they ported OS X to Intel's arkitekky.

Apple is a hardware company that builds their own OS to sell their hardware. They are not an OS company, they are a hardware company. The column said that something like 75% of their sales, almost $1.1 billion, was of computers, and another 15% was non-computer hardware like monitors and iPods. Only $160 million was from any software, including the OS. If you could buy OS X on cheap PC hardware, you would have no reason to buy from Apple, and they would lose that billion dollars, closing the Apple stores and hindering their innovation.

I read that column at the library. I remember thinking "Wow, Apple better not do that. It would SUCK!" :)

Back