Apple to go x86 for sure. Got proof.

I was smoking alot of crack back when I posted this thread. I do not retract the statement but I do want to say that I was one of the main people behind the adoption of the PowerPC 970.

I still think Apple could ultimately move away from relying on hardware. However people think that to do this means Apple would be giving up it's hardware. I think it means more that Apple would be giving up it's reliance on the Personal Computer and spreading their product lines to something other than the PC and onto things like an Mp3 player, internet services, music services etc.

I still predict Apple will do such consumer oriented things in the near future... OH WAIT yeah thats right they already have. Gee, I guess i wasn't smoking too much crack after all.

As for the adoption of the x86, that was one thing I can't believe *I* would have even posted. If anything if they ever moved towards a standard chip it would be whatever 64 bit chip wins the war of 64 bit. IBM, AMD, or Intel. That war has only just begun.

Apologies for being absolutely wrong on my prediction that they would move to x86. Yes I admit I was wrong... and grateful for that too. What on earth was I thinking?

Originally posted by terran74
I was smoking alot of crack back when I posted this thread.
[snip]

I predicted that if Apple was going to use the PPC970, that they would have product by 2003:

Here's the text:
Re: makes me wonder

quote: from 10/16/02 post by malexgreen

According to this article http://news.com.com/2100-1001-961862.html, they will start selling this chip at the end of next year. If it takes them about 1 year to ramp the high-volumne production of this part in the plant, then they probably will be taping-out by the end of this year. It is remotely possible that if early samples come back clean that they could release Beta parts to Apple for their low volume systems (XServe, high-end PowerMacs) by summer '03. Just a guess Even if P4 is running at 8GHz by that time frame it may not matter because the PPC970 can issue up to 8 instructions per clock and we may have a 64-bit MACOSX, and 64bit MACOSX apps. There are 64-bit versions of Linux running on Itanium, so it must not be too hard to convert open source projects to 64bit chips.

Originally posted by terran74
[BI think it means more that Apple would be giving up it's reliance on the Personal Computer and spreading their product lines to something other than the PC and onto things like an Mp3 player, internet services, music services etc.[/B]
I really doubt that. Sales of Macs really mean much to Apple's economy, even if the software is what sells the Macs.
That's their game. People want the software, and buy Macs to get it. Giving 3rd party companies a chance to run OS X would be a killing blow to Apple. At least, that's how it seems to me.

I'm not a big-shot at this stuff, but I know I'll buy a Mac to run OS X, and that's why. The price difference is so big that if I could run OS X on any PC, I would...

Complete festering pants.
The whole deal with Apple hardware is the speed of the chip - the design of the the Motorolla chips over the X86, pipeline cache , megahertz myth, blah blah blah.

This is no proof that Apple is moving to X86 from that article, there is not even a suggestion!

Why on earth would they throw away their biggest advantage over PCs?

Jab, he already said he was high on crack...

Apple will never stop selling personal computers until they find something better to sell, like going from horse & buggy to automobile. Macs make up 75% of their revenue; do you think they will just give that up? They make a kick-ass OS only so you'll buy their computers. That's the reason they abolished the clone licenses, so that Umax, etc. wouldn't undersell Apple and force them out of their own market, like IBM experienced.

Thanks for the explanation, at least, Terran.

Back