Apple Trademark "Numbers"

my impression of iWork was it is alot closer to Pagemaker or apple works, a dtp suite, than Word, which is strictly letter writing. Pages just doesn't seem to have the on screen options... i don't know. maybe i'm talking colon-wise, but that's my opinion. Pages will have to look a lot more like it's competitior if it's going to charm people over. that and numbers.

Lt Major Burns said:
my impression of iWork was it is alot closer to Pagemaker or apple works, a dtp suite, than Word, which is strictly letter writing. Pages just doesn't seem to have the on screen options... i don't know. maybe i'm talking colon-wise, but that's my opinion. Pages will have to look a lot more like it's competitior if it's going to charm people over. that and numbers.

Nope, you're dead on. Pages seems to be a DTP that can do word processing while Word is a word processor that can do DTP.

It's a fine line, but a line, none the less.

symphonix said:
<snip>
My suspicion: Microsoft's Windows for Mobiles has proven too expensive for the tastes of the manufacturers, and so Apple have offered all of these makers a single, market-proven platform to replace the trouble-laden Symbian and Series 60 operating systems and do away with the expense of developing their software in-house.
<snip>
Of course, I could be completely wrong.​

I don't know...
Symbian has been built from the ground up to be a mobile OS, that is not to say that Apple can't counter with a better OS. I think though that Symbian is not going away, and here are a few:
1. Nokia makes profits from licensing Series 60 to other Manufacturers
2. Nokia Series 90 and Series 80 differentiate nokia from others and they won't give that up
3. UIQ is now used by manufacturers other than SonyEricsson (Motorola and FOMA handsets are good examples)
4. Symbian an maleable - you have 4 UIs already that are customized to given platforms

What *could* happen is that Apple buys a stake in the symbian pie (now the majority stakeholder is Nokia), and they work closely to fix things, add things, and of course make things more mac compatible, perhaps make another user interface ;). What I would like to see is for iSync to support Nokia Series 40 phones (nokia OS, not symbian).

yea, i think that too...just wanted to post about apple getting a few more trademarks...and it turns into a battle between iWork and Office...jeez

fjdouse said:
Well...

Apple have trademarked Numbers.. nice.

I'm thinking at MacWorld in July we're going to see Numbers in play along with iWork '05 Rev. B or something...or maybe iWork 06

symphonix said:
Wow, I hadn't realised the next MacWorld was so close. :)

Well everyone in the Mac community has been stressing about the intel switch...yea, i've been curious about it, but i've accepted it. The next MacWorld is July 11th only 5 more weeks.

My guess is :

iWork '05 or 06 w/ Numbers or just a Numbers intro
MacTablet...?
Mac Mini rev. B (512MB of RAM standard, bluetooth standard, wireless card optional, vid card update to support CoreImage/Video)
iBook Updates
Leopard features

Apple won't introduce iWork '06 until January 06. They're unlike Microsoft in this aspect. And I guess that's also where they'll introduce Numbers. In recent years, Apple's been moving away from MWNY/MWBO in Summer, so I don't expect too much from them there. When was the last Steve-Note at MWNY/MWBO?

fryke said:
Apple won't introduce iWork '06 until January 06. They're unlike Microsoft in this aspect. And I guess that's also where they'll introduce Numbers. In recent years, Apple's been moving away from MWNY/MWBO in Summer, so I don't expect too much from them there. When was the last Steve-Note at MWNY/MWBO?

Didn't he introduce the new monitors with the thin bezel's last july at MacWorld Boston??

AFAIK Apple wasn't there. At all. Their products were, of course, but they didn't have an official booth or anything.

huh...i thought they monitors were introduced then, and the MacWorld in September the iMac G5's were introduced too, but i could be mistaken :confused:

Back