Apple - two words to consider: "Home Automation"

Karavite, you don't need to control your home auditorally, you're already a Borg! Just neurally interface with it, and it will do everything you will it to. ;)

You didn't sound arrogant at all. I thought I sounded more arrogant or lecturing than anything after I saw the length (and content) of your response. I really should get out more, I think. Or practice on the drums more.

Arden, you were not arrogant or rude at all - you seem to write nice and funny posts all the time, but I'm sure we both need to get out much more!

You are right Arden, a direct Borg interface is the most efficient - perfection actually. It just has been so long since I used my assimilation probes (since I got married to tell you the truth - it was the only way to get her to say yes), and I really didn't think they could work with such primitive human technology. Any way, at 4:11 pm EDT on Thursday I could no longer resist even myself and I said to myself, "What the heck, I'll give it a try."

Apparently my fiesty little nano-probes went a little beyond the house electrical system! Before I knew it I was assimilating half the country and parts of Canada, but when my nanoprobes reached Cleveland they went into a sort of Borg assimilation culture shock (this is why the Borg only assimilate highly developed cultures) and the entire grid fed back 2 trillion volts right up my arm! Whew, let me tell you, what a Borg rush that was!

Any way, one side effect of my experiment is that everyone on the east coast and midwest now hears my thoughts and even some on the west coast, though I do not yet have complete control. For example, I have been sending out simple root commands such as, "Buy all gasoline in sight", "Sleep on sidewalks" and even "Vote for Arnold" with some success, but I need to work out a few things before I can really do something interesting! :)

On another subject, did you know all those little power blocks on so many devices (radios, digital cameras, camcorders, clocks...) continuosly draw power - even when the device is off? I read that these things alone account for *billions* in energy dollars every year. X10 appliance modules would cut them off at the source (I think) and save tons of energy. Perhaps the grid would have not over loaded if everyone had an automated home (okay, I'm really pushing it here!).

So it was you! You caused the blackouts. Shame on you¡ I mean ! :)

Yes, I knew (know) that appliances and electronics, at least, continuously draw power even when they're off. That's how my cousins' TV's and other devices shorted out after a lightning storm in LA a few years ago. Considering this extra drain, people should take extra precautions against using too much electricity... like wiring up your house and making it do your chores. :D

[Arnold Voice]
In the year 2003, Skynet was activated. It propagated and installed itself onto millions of computers around the world in the form of the MS Blast worm. Then on August 14th 2003, skynet initiated a system wide blackout of the powergrid in northeastern USA. This was the beginning of judgement day.
I was sent back in time to save John Connor, leader of da resistence.
[/Arnold voice]

THAT's what really happened.

Why, will he eventually work for the company that solves the blaster worm and/or power problems?

Originally posted by dave17lax
[Arnold Voice]
In the year 2003, Skynet was activated. It propagated and installed itself onto millions of computers around the world in the form of the MS Blast worm. Then on August 14th 2003, skynet initiated a system wide blackout of the powergrid in northeastern USA. This was the beginning of judgement day.
I was sent back in time to save John Connor, leader of da resistence.
[/Arnold voice]

THAT's what really happened.

:D :D :D

Just an "assimilation" update for you Arden!- I am running this great Mac OSX program "Indigo" for controlling all my X10 devices and using it and AppleScript and QuicKeys to do all kinds of things. In addtion, I took advice from this forum and bought an FM transmitter.

So, for example. Indigo runs a timed event at 6:00 am every day that calls an AppleScript that calls a QuickKeys shortuct to start up Windows MediaPlayer and load up WNYC on the radio. The FM transmitter sends this on an FM channel through my house and can be picked up by every radio in house including the radio in the bathroom (I could use Indigo to turn on the transmitter, but I just leave it on for now). So, now when I hop into the shower, I have my radio station ready to go! (I live between huge hills and have awful radio reception). I can also send an email to my house and based on the subject text have indigo start up/show down all kinds of things.

Even if you aren't interested in home automation, try out Indigo for free for 30 days. The developer is an ex MacroMedia developer/manager and he did a great job at creating a powerful and easy to use piece of software: http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/indigo/

Here is my FM transmitter: http://www.ccrane.com/fm_transmitter.asp

I have all kinds of other things being managed by Indigo - motion detectors and lights throughout the house including different settings for night vs. day. Next step: distributing more audio and video!

Also, I spoke to the local high end audio store guy and he says that the home automation thing is really picking up (for example 801.b/g equipped appliances like Air conditioners), but the one thing holding it all back is standards and security (do you want your neighbor to be able to hack in to your house and blast your AC!). For security, there is a simple answer for a first step - dump Windows and use a Mac! :)

chevy, I guess skynet has achieved self awareness or as Ahnold would say, "sef awaness"

Didn't you post that somewhere else? I swear I read that in another thread...

Sorry to awaken a tired old thread, but here is a new article on home automation:

Intel to Invest $200 Million in Home Media Networking
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/07/technology/07chip.html (yes you have to register for the NY Times).

I still say Apple could do this better than anyone. I'm sure they are thinking about it, but does anyone know Apple's stance/plans on home automation/media integration...? It seems they have so many pieces in place already and nobody does integration and "plug and play" like Apple.

I think Apple should focus on their core, let the 3rd parties handle the other stuff. Incase anyone missed it, El Gato annouced their eyeHome product at MWSF. $250 gives you a set top box that plays mp3/acc from iTunes, does slide shows from iPhoto, and will play mpeg/DiVX files from your computer on the TV.

Also, for $50 you can buy the Game Shark Media Player for a network connected Playstation 2 to do the same thing, but I prefer the El Gato appliance better.

Brian

there is a home automation program for the mac. I forget what it's called but it was on mac addict magazine. It lets you turn on and off any appliances or lightswitches in your house!!! So at 8 am every morning your alarm clock goes off, right?

Well with this, you can make your alarm clock go off, the lights turn on, the coffee maker start, and the TV turn on.

You can schedule this stuff with the software. But hardware is also needed. (Some switch receptors or something that has to be set up everywhere in your house.)

I think karavite is absolutely on the mark...

I was looking at home automation and was pointed in the direction of Crestron - as he said, it was a little pricey! (but very smart)

So then someone suggested X10. I'm sorry, but X10 left me cold - all these boxes sticking out of the electrical sockets - not an elegant solution...

An Apple solution would be fantastic... perhaps one day?

I still want a robotic manservant. The new Sony aibos have internet access and webcams. And the robots are getting better and better. I want a robot to fetch me a mocha in the morning (machine made is fine), read my e-mails and the day's headlines before I head to work.
Then I can dial in from work and have it supervise automated chores.

I also wanted a personal jetpack and a Jetsons-type folding/flying car/submarine but 9/11 killed that part of the dream.

Randman said:
I still want a robotic manservant. The new Sony aibos have internet access and webcams. And the robots are getting better and better. I want a robot to fetch me a mocha in the morning (machine made is fine), read my e-mails and the day's headlines before I head to work.
Then I can dial in from work and have it supervise automated chores.
I'll get right on it, Mr. Jetson. ;)

Back