applecare

eriko411

Registered
Hi

Today my year old macbook crashed I pressed the power button to find a white screen. after posting for help online & reading page after page on what could be wrong i think the Hard drive is dead.

Question : If i took out applecare would applecare cover a new HD ?

as apples t&c dont mention it also when registering applecare it doesnt say it.

Question : If i took out applecare would applecare cover a new HD ?

Yes! Plus if you kept the original included disks (that came with the computer) ,there is a disk for a "HardWare Test". You can boot from that disk and run the test to see if it reports anything.

You can only purchase apple care during the first year after your initial purchase - so if you have passed the 12 month mark, you are probably out of luck.

*btw - why the heck do we not have wysiwyg capability when posting on this forum?

I always have to edit my posts to change the default short sentences/lines into long
ones and it is a real PITA for an obsessive personality like mine!!!! :mad:

If it has been over a year of purchase of the Mac and hte Applecare, call Apple and they should be able to enroll it to you - provided you can prove that you did buy the protection plan within the 12 months of purchase of the Mac.

I was on the phone to apple , my hard drive is dead

I asked if i took out applecare would it cover it he said yes?

If your Mac is less than one year old, you can purchase Applecare for it.

I have Applecare on all my portables and my iMac. For machines that are being transported and are more susceptible to failure, I recommend it.

However, the Macbook hard drive is ridiculously easy to replace. You can probably buy a big 2.5" SATA HD for much less than Applecare and replace it yourself.

Of course, Applecare covers other things and isn't a bad thing to have. Just something to consider...

I bought Applecare on my first iBook about 18 months after I had originally purchased it. One day I got a phone call from Apple. They wanted to sell me Applecare on a desktop G4 I had purchased about 11 months earlier. I said I didn't want Applecare for the desktop, but asked if I could still buy for the iBook. He said yes, so I did. My point, officially you can buy Applecare anytime within a year, but it's probably a cash cow for Apple, and unlike iPhones, they are more than willing to sell it to you. They got me for $250 (or maybe even $300 back then). I bought it because I thought my CD-drive was dying, but it worked itself out and never sent it to be fixed.

Also, a dead HD is covered under Applecare. I had an HD go this time last year and they replaced it no problem. Well, kind of a problem, as they don't have collection services in most countries outside the U.S. I've needed to have my iBook G4 serviced in both Britain and China and finding an official repair center and getting there is much more of a hassle than just having a box sent to you like they do in the U.S. I digress. Applecare for laptops is a must. Buying it with the new Macbook I'm purchasing in a week or two!!!!

Back