Apple's Blue Screen of Death...

Ynought

Registered
...is much more attractive than Windows'. I thought I read on here a while ago that someone had never seen the Apple Grey Screen of Inconvenience. I've had the displeasure of seeing it a few times but figured this time I'd "preserver the moment in pictures" (c) Raising Arizona.

EDIT: whoops. The picture had people's names and numbers (i had Address Book open) and I don't have image editing software. False Alarm.

EDIT: in all its glory

billwat.gif

You can crop pictures in Preview. Just drag over the area you want to keep and select Crop from the Tools menu.

There is no Blue screen of death, it's a boot loading screen. You can open System Preferences->Desktop & ScreenSaver, Desktop tab and see it. When the blue screen stays up and doesn't move on means you have a login item that is hacking the loading system. Third party hackies will do that when there are old and out of date.

That is called a Kernel Panic and that usually means hardware problems. Sometimes really bad plugins/hackies can cause panics but as i said before is usually is a hardware problem. Make sure you do NOT have any Application Enhancer models installed at all. Those hackies have been playing havoc with Leopard!

Plus what does logs say is wrong (/Applications/Utilities/Console)?

This was really intended to be a demonstrative thread. As I said, I thought that I read that someone had never seen the screen, that it was somewhat of a rare sighting. I thought I would share. It's like sharing pictures of Bigfoot. Or the Loch Ness Monster. Or Bill Watterson.

Anyway, this happened when I plugged my Sony Ericcson w810i into the usb port. That has caused this on several (4?) prior occassions. I can't remember the others. I'm not trouble shooting so I won't bother looking in the log but thanks for the recommendation.

Kernel panics in that mode leave a file called panic.log in your system. That tells what was calling for the panic - there are several possibilities from hardware to software to OS X and any of those not liking any of those other two. If you are curious, post panic.log contents to be analyzed what was calling for it --- on the positive side, if you ever have only one kernel panic, that may not be that bad or serious. If you start to get them daily or even monthly, then there is something wrong.

In Console application, look at system.log and look for "previous shutdown cause", and find the one that coincides with the kernel panic. Post that line, and a few lines before - since those contain additional information what called it.

Anyway, this happened when I plugged my Sony Ericcson w810i into the usb port. That has caused this on several (4?) prior occassions. I can't remember the others. I'm not trouble shooting so I won't bother looking in the log but thanks for the recommendation.

To fix the USB problem have you tried to Reset your Pram yet? Did it help?

Also if the was a demonstration thread and NOT a 'help me' thread then why not put this is Bob's Place?

Back