Apple's New Format Apfs

maybe because I was tired when I first read that article, I am not sure. I’d like to ‘experience’ it first before giving it my full support. There is the saying “Don’t fix what ain’t broke”
Did they really need to create this?

They definitely needed to create this. Whether it's the "perfect" solution for the future remains to be seen, but the fact that we're currently on "HFS+ Extended Journaled" should tell you that it's a newer version of an old thing with something tacked onto it, for which it wasn't originally intended. We're talking about a filing system from 1985. Back then, harddrives were still in the future for most users. They were just learning to adapt to 3.5" diskettes. It's time now.

When you put it in that prospective, the file system should reflect the type of drive they install in the machines.

Yes, and that's basically what they're doing here, by creating a well-scalable system. As they say: "From the watch to the Mac Pro." Or something like that. (Even the watch, of course, has far more "disk space" than the earliest Macs did.)

The changes would protect -supposedly - from hackers, etc. But how will this change affect those of us who are super users and know what we are doing?

Maneuntr,

It appears that you did not read the articles that are linked in the posts. There is no problem to fix.

Back