Appletalk Printing

jarinteractive

Registered
How can I print to an Appletalk printer, if it is not seen in print center? The printer I want to use is on a different subnet than my computer is.

-JARinteractive

Can rendevous see it from the add printer box? Or can you select a different subnet through Appletalk? try experimenting with the other options in the print center Add Printer window

if you are at work (like me) your routers will not route appletalk. that means that you can't print to that printer using appletalk since appletalk zones and device broadcasts will not traverse a router. best to see if that printer supports LPR or some other print mechanism

I have two EPSON printers that are shared via Appletalk from the two host computers. From OS 9 all is well, they are not visible from MacOSX even though I have drivers for these printers installed. The PRINT center is unable too see them either from Appletalk, EPSON Appletalk or Rendesvous.

Apple -> System Prefernces -> Network -> Select your internet connection from "show: " menu.
goto the appletalk tab, make sure Appletalk is enabled.
Also check to see if you are selected in the right zone.

Yup done all that, thanks anyway. Some years ago I wrote an a Mac Applications (AppleTalk Manager etc) to find out about all this stuff. Its looks as though the broadcast packets do not contain the correct search strings. Example: You used to be able to alter the search string in the "LaserWriter" CHOOSER to find all devices on Appletalk networks.

Back