AppleTV is hot!

supanatral

Registered
I've found that our AppleTV is running very hot and I'm a bit worried because I know that a lot of heat isn't good for electronics. Does everyone else find this?

Also when you guys plugged in your apple tv, did you guys get a spark every time?

That last sentence might be an issue, there. No, *no* electronic device should give you a spark everytime you plug it in. I'd try and get it replaced immediately. Sounds like something's connected wrong.

Sparks can occur because of the electrical potential difference between the AppleTV transformer and the power network, so it's not necessarly abnormal.

The heat is most likely coming from the processors. I'd say nothing is wrong unless it's the power cable or connector that's getting hot or something smells burnt : )

From MacFixIt

Extremely hot (cont.): Fixes We continue to note user reports that the Apple TV is extremely hot to the touch -- not surprising since the top of the device's case actually acts as a heatsink. Some users have found success with the following remedies:

Manually put in standby mode It appears that putting the Apple TV in standby mode manually -- achieved by pressing the center button for 6 seconds -- rather than allowing the unit to idle while not in use can result in reduction of overall surface temperature. You can tell that the unit has entered standby mode when the status indicator light turns off.

Stream don't sync Though not an ideal solution some excess heat that can be avoided by streaming media rather than synchronizing data. The Apple TV's spinning hard drive (required for playing back synchronized media stored on the unit) can create additional heat.

Use component cables instead of HDMI In some cases, using component cables rather than HDMI cables can reduce overall surface temperature.

It sounds a AppleTV recall someday. For this device, I am not pleasant to learn that it comes with a wireless. I rather to use a cable instead. It is my preference. I am disappointed that many people bought it and love it. I just cannot stand the wireless waves. That's all.

Well the beutiful thing about Apple TV is that if you don't want to use wireless, then you don't have to. Wired is the way to go though because wireless has security flaws and is slower. In my house, there are no ethernet wires anywhere near the apple tv so I use wireless.

P.S. Does anyone know if it has wireless n enabled? I know it has wireless n but I'm wondering if its like my laptop where I had to buy and download the enabler from apple.

No, the Apple TV does not have a closed caption option, but instead the video in itself has to have it.

So in other words, whether you have closed caption or not depends on the video you download. Hope that answers your quesion

I'm finding the same heat issues with appleTV, I've even put mine on standby for almost a day and it is still warm but not as bad as when it isn't on standby. When the system is on standby does it still pull media from iTunes...? Using the top of the unit as a heat sink makes good sense but a few firmware enhancements are necessary.

It is imperative that the next firmware version include a power saver mode that could be timed out to as a screen saver option or as a screen saver secondary option that kicks in after a second time limit like with most mac screen savers power down options.

On that note it would be really nice to have the option for the picture screen saver to include intermittent use of album art including song title etc. when music is playing.

I'm sure these aren't new issues for the development team and they are on a feature list somewhere, if not I hope they read posts like yours.

Thanks, I was worried that I was the only one noticing this issue and the support center said if it persisted I should take it into the store.

Well, to answer your question on whether media still tries to sync with the Apple TV while its in standby, I'm not too sure however my best guess is it probably would.

However, thats not what is causing the heat because I don't sync my Apple TV but instead just use the shared files on my computer. I wish I could unplug the hard drive in it.

If anyone is wondering how hot it is, I think this one picture explains it all.
02-appletv-after-playing-fo.jpg

P.S. Welcome to the forum Hildy.

From what I can tell through reading other posts and experimenting the appleTV only shuts the video feed down during standby. It is still visible to iTunes and still syncs new material, which is why it remains warm.

Either way standby is still better than always on, hopefully they'll add the ability to go to standby after a customer set time of inactivity on screen saver.

Thanks, I feel welcome.

Yep. Also because I've always heard it the _other_ way 'round. At least for PowerBooks/iBooks/MacBooks.

Has anyone found iTunes to be unstable when you use it as a host for Apple TV? It keeps on crashing on me. Now, this also might be because I have 150gb iTunes library, but i'm not sure.

Back