Appleworks 6.2.9 File Recovery

kedzfam

Registered
I have a small AppleWorks database file that has become damaged for no apparent reason. When I try to open it, I get an error message "The file appears to be damaged and cannot be opened." Apple's website is not much help; the only advice is to recreate a blank database and try to insert it (tried and failed -- the file is not recognized when I try to do this).

I really need the data from this file -- I back it up occasionally but I will lose a LOT of work if I can't recover it somehow. Any ideas? I don't have another database program to use.

I have tried this utility already to no avail -- it seems to work on regular word processing files, but even the "Fixed-" file results in the same "this file is damaged and cannot be opened" message no matter how I try to open it. But thanks for trying. My database is only 76K -- nothing very complicated -- any idea why/how it is getting damaged in the first place?

I know this a big financial commitment, but I would bite the bullet and go for Microsoft Office X. Remember that Microsoft have a crap OS, but an excellent Word/Presentation/Spread Sheet product.

I HAVE Microsoft Office X but there is no database program per se. My database needs are not that sophisticated that I need FileMaker Pro; AppleWorks had enough features. What I DON'T know is why or how my little database file got damaged. And there seems to be no recovery that works.

I have the same exact problem and have tried all of the suggestions in this forum. Did you ever get the problem solved? If so how?

Not really. None of the suggestions let me reopen the file or recover the data from it. And I don't have $ to invest in another DB program at this time. SO...
My work-around solution was to recreate the database, and then every time I add new data, I save the file, but also do a Save as ASCII, so that if it gets damaged/unopenable again, at least I can just reimport the data instead of having to totally start from scratch.

Back