AppleWorks 6

SvMp

Registered
I've seen a screenshot of AppleWorks 6 running on Mac OS X .
But when I start the installer of AppleWorks 6, Classic starts up.

Is it possible to install AppleWorks 6 with Mac OS X ?

What you saw was a screen shot of a beta or development version of the Carbon Appleworks 6. Apple still hasn't released an upadate...yet they are almost done....I think they are done.

I installed AppleWorks 6 directly from the CD that came with one of my iMacs and it is Carbonized, full Aqua Interface and runs without the Classic Environment.

I installed it from OS 9 onto my OS X partition then tried to run it after rebooting in OS X. It constantly crashes on me. Has anyone figured out how to install it so that it runs in a stable manner on OS X?

I had previously installed AW6 on OS9 and upgraded it to 6.0.4. When I installed X beta, I simply double clicked a AW document and up it came in a fully carbonized configuration. Generally works well.

A couple of problems:

Find (cmd-F) crashes the app. X is still alive.
Check document spelling does too.
I have succeeded in editing wp docs and spreadsheets.

Looking forward to an update that fixes these problems.
Keep up the great work Apple!

I have AppleWorks 6 and I downloaded the Update (English, and yes I have English AppleWorks6), but the installer refususes to Update the app! My AppleWorks6 (In the info: version:6.0) runs on OS X w/o the classec environment, but the graphics is flawed and the app crashes alot. Help!

(I think that the update will at least improve stability!)

Not that the painting environment in AW6 is wonderful in the first place, but it is unusable under OS X pb. I tried drawing a rounded rectangle, and only half of it would appear. Actually, the behavior was a lot stranger, but really hard to describe. The pencil drew about 10 pixels above the cursor, and it was possible to mark all over the title bar. When I paged down with the scroll bar and then back up, the image was erased.

I haven't noticed any similar problems with the drawing environment, however.

Ah, the joy of betatesting.

I actually went out & bought AW6 just so as I could run an office suite under X. (I am trying to move my day 2 day apps to atleast Carbon & I would like to thank Panic for helping me with this for Audion & Transmit) I use appleworks 5 under 9 so thought that I'd just upgrade to 6.

Technically it works , however I have found that the button bars are very dodgy behaviour at best. It also seems to be prone to crashing. I hope that Apple get this out quickly since IMHO this does not look good.

I was surprised to see Appleworks 6 carbonised. I installed it to recover text from a few documents, and since then, it has stayed on my iMac.

There are a few little problems, like the Ctrl F (which is sooo easy to hit when you have made a massive document, have not saved yet and miss-hit Ctrl V or Ctrl C. Many a time have I done that :/ )

I have also noticed a thing with IE5... when you scroll down, you loose bits of the text and images. The only way to get the text back is to select the text, scroll up and down quickly or reload the page. I have also noticed, if you hide IE5 to the Dock, when you maximise it again, the whole page is black. The only way to sort this one is to open a new window and retype the URL. If OmniWeb did not crash, I would use that !

Regards,
Russ...

I have big problems running Appleworks 6 on OS X. The interface often never appear like it would be supposed to, and I can't click on any button on a panel if they ever appear... I like AW, but is this all normal ? Could I run in in classic mode rather than OS X since it's carbonized ?

Thanks for your help !

Originally posted by latourfl
Could I run in in classic mode rather than OS X since it's carbonized ?

Thanks for your help !

Don't know how well it runs in classic, but you can Get Info on the app itself and toggle the Run in Classic flag.

Originally posted by latourfl
Could I run in in classic mode rather than OS X since it's carbonized ?

Thanks for your help !

Don't know how well it runs in classic, but you can Get Info on the app itself and toggle the Run in Classic flag.

I think we all need to remember that this is a beta product we are talking about (OS X). Only after Mar. 24 should we complain that this or that doesn't work. I assume that Apple will also send out another update that will allow AW 6 to fully access OS X. I also believe that there will be mucho updates for OS X after 3/24, and perhaps a few more for AW 6.

Back