Application locked, won't launch?

webweave

Registered
Hi, I am using 10.1.5 upgraded from 10.1

My problem is with the application AddressBook. When ever I attempt to launch it it dies and this message pops up;
"AddressBook cannot be launched."
"Another application has a lock on it. Please try again later."

Well later has come and went and after many reboots and loging still no AddressBook.

If I login as another user no problem.

I tried apples set permissions utility and no luck.

Any Ideas.
Thanks
Brian

Fix 1, upgrade to 10.2 (has a much improved address book app)
or Fix 2, find out which preference in your user/library folder has incorrect permissions, or a locked folder or file.

DeltaMac collect one wizard badge for the helpful tip that corrected my problem.

Lurking in my user/library folder was a 0k file with the name Addresses. Once I had dragged it to the trash the AddressBook launched normally, thanks.:)

Boot off the CD and re-set permissions on your OSx drive ... Or if your crafty with unix there is a commmand in the terminal U could do ---- don't remember it tho

Hi acidtuch10

I had tried that but it was not the problem.

The "lock" the alert box was describing was a "lock file" used to show other potential users of the application that the data was in use. I guess I had a crash and the recovery did not clean up this file. I have learned something useful that has advanced my understanding of the system somewhat. :)

Looking back on DeltaMac's "fix 1" you are right Jag is better but I am not ready to upgrade. Which means I am working fine now and will do so when I can afford to be without my mac for a day or two. Upgrades do not always go smoothly and I usually wait till a few of my close associates change first so I know where the curves are.

Speaking as someone who has been burnt a few times.

Back