Application Menu

molloy

Registered
I discovered a simple way to have an application menu. Launch a classic app, this will give you the regular OS 9 menubar. Go to the application menu and tear it off and leave it sitting discreatly on the side of your screen. This will list not only the classic apps, but the OS X apps too, and will be visible as long as classic is running.

Done it, it's buggy gets corrupted, don't recommend using it.

You can command + tab or command + shift + tab to cycle through, and Command + H will hide Carbon apps (incl. AppleWorks 6).

The more of Classic's "neat" features - most of them were the causes of fragmented memory and instability. Turn off any background processes and you'll lfind that Classic runs better and even not under X 9.0.x is more stable and doesn't "lose" or suffer from memory becoming fragmented - a very very small amount is lost over time, but turn on conrol strip, folder actions, time synch, indexing, etc and you'll find those memory "problems" and "leaks" and fragmented.

Classic needs very few extensions to work properly. Fewer the better. Tear-off application menu isn't one of them.

Gregory

I discovered the same thing. But how about this:
Press Command-Option-Esc. Yep, the Force Quit keys.
A small window comes up that very neatly lists all applications, complete with icons. You can force quit the apps by clicking on them then pressing the "Force quit" button, but if you just click on an app (I forget whether it's single-or double-clicking, I'm not running X now), then it will activate the app. Just like the Application Switcher.

It's always on top, so fits the bill nicely. However, it's a bit too large.

Originally posted by p
but if you just click on an app (I forget whether it's single-or double-clicking, I'm not running X now), then it will activate the app. Just like the Application Switcher.
It's always on top, so fits the bill nicely. However

You are right, didn't know that little trick before.
It is double clicking by the way.
To bad you cannot edit its size. Altough, there is probably a resource for this window somewhere. I'll be looking for it.

if you popup the force-quit window, when classic is running, you can force quit classic, and still use your classic apps.
I haven't really tested to see how much ram or cpu it saves, but it does work. I think you have to have at least one classic app open though when you force-quit classic.
This probably isn't really a good idea, and nobody's proved that it will speed things up. ( although I'm going to try to get some more screencaps with top running)

for now check out these screenshots:

http://24.161.35.35/osx/screenshots/
Look for the one with the old "about this Computer" window!

Originally posted by J5
if you popup the force-quit window, when classic is running, you can force quit classic, and still use your classic apps.

Or you could just launch TruBlueEnvironment instead of Classic.app.

Speed

Rather than a force quit on clasic, or opening TrueBlueEnviroment rather than classic.app, you can switch to clasic and choose Quit from the applcation menu. It will ask if you want to shut down the clasic compatibility enviroment or leave it running. Chose leave it running, and voila Classic withot the app.

Back