Apps that don't even launch

chuckbiggi

Registered
I had a big meltdown a while back. Re-installed 10.4 from disk onto my 1.25 GHz Mirror Door. Now there are some apps that won't launch. The icon will expand (or whatever that oh-so-cute ephemeral action is called), but then nothing.
The app is on the HD, and so are files. I read about prefs; I went to delete the .plist for one particular app (Virex) and there was no .plist.

Here is what Console says:
Host Name: Macintosh
Date/Time: 2009-11-20 17:23:38.461 -0800
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: Virex7
Path: /Applications/Virex 7/Virex7.app/Contents/MacOS/Virex7
Parent: WindowServer [57]

Version: Version 7 (1.0)

PID: 243
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /Library/MacScanner/build/MacScanner.framework/Versions/A/MacScanner
Referenced from: /Applications/Virex 7/Virex7.app/Contents/MacOS/Virex7
Reason: image not found

I thank you kindly.

What are some of the Apps that won't launch? Are you trying to launch them from your Applications folder or the Dock? If you can't launch an app from the Dock, then what happens when you try to launch it from the Applications Folder?

Have you tried re-downloading one of the apps to see if after you install it, there is still an issue?

It looks like the virus scanner "Virex 7" (which is an older virus protection package for Mac OS X) is crashing.

I recommend removing it. Unless you've been elected "email attachment scanner friend" and are responsible for making sure other computers don't get viruses, you don't really need it.

Apparently, it's been discontinued. Here is a page that purports to be able to remove Virex 7 from your system:

http://www.jacksontechnical.com/article.htm?id=37

I make no guarantees that this will or will not do what it says, since I have no machine with Virex 7 to try it on. Your mileage may vary, and proceed at your own risk.

Here is McAfee's official method of manually removing Virex 7 (which involves work in the Terminal):

https://kc.mcafee.com:443/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52679&actp=search&searchid=1258771224240

What are some of the Apps that won't launch? Are you trying to launch them from your Applications folder or the Dock? If you can't launch an app from the Dock, then what happens when you try to launch it from the Applications Folder?

Have you tried re-downloading one of the apps to see if after you install it, there is still an issue?

Apps that won't launch:
Photoshop CS3
Filemaker Pro
QPict
VLC

The problem is from the Dock or from the Apps folder. Yes, I have re-installed some apps. But for some I have no install disk (AHEM), and also I would like to know what is the problem.

Thank you.

Here is another one. I didn't know that Virex was obsolete, but I know that PS is NOT obsolete.
So what is 'no suitable image found'?
Below is the Console report:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/AdobeAGM.framework/Versions/A/AdobeAGM
Referenced from: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS3
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeAGM.framework/Versions/A/AdobeAGM: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeAGM.framework/Versions/A/AdobeAGM: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Nov 21 09:44:33 Macintosh crashdump[326]: Adobe Photoshop CS3 crashed
Nov 21 09:44:33 Macintosh crashdump[326]: crash report written to: /Users/chuckmason/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Adobe Photoshop CS3.crash.log

It looks like the virus scanner "Virex 7" (which is an older virus protection package for Mac OS X) is crashing.

I recommend removing it. Unless you've been elected "email attachment scanner friend" and are responsible for making sure other computers don't get viruses, you don't really need it.

Apparently, it's been discontinued. Here is a page that purports to be able to remove Virex 7 from your system:

http://www.jacksontechnical.com/article.htm?id=37

I make no guarantees that this will or will not do what it says, since I have no machine with Virex 7 to try it on. Your mileage may vary, and proceed at your own risk.

Here is McAfee's official method of manually removing Virex 7 (which involves work in the Terminal):

https://kc.mcafee.com:443/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52679&actp=search&searchid=1258771224240

Back