April 1 Changes (No Fool'n)

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Howdy All...

It has always been my philosophy on message boards is to keep the number of forums to a minimum. This means, instead of spreading everything out, just group it all together and make it easy for everyone.

Well, I steered away from that philosophy and still think it to be the best. After some brain storming with the mods and others, we have significantly narrowed down these forums. However, no thread was lost. It was merged into the nearest forum to it's topic.

At this point, nothing can be un-done, so no use in complaining. :)

In OTHER NEWS...

Recent events unfolded that left me banning some members because of a foul mouth. It should be known that getting carried away in the "May I Cuss" thread is okay with me, but please... watch your mouth on the rest of the site. We don't need a bunch of potty mouths running around here to make this place dirty.

I may also allow some of our banned members to come back, if they want too and can show some self-control.

The VB software was upgraded to 2.2.5, and so things are looking good. Even with the (delayed) and ever pending launch of the NEW site, the good news is that macosx.com will remain macosx.com.

Hope you enjoy the site and the atmosphere here.

Enjoy!

Admin

admin: I only question your decisions to 1) leave the Windows hardware forum intact :p and 2) to rename the "All Thoughts Non-Technical" forum to "Herve's Bar & Grill".

In reference to #2, what the HECK were you thinking?

Hehe. ;) I'm glad you listened, and MacOSX.com is much better than before. 16 forums is much better than 26 (with 2 hidden ones).

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I love it! Now herves has multiple threads! But, the original thread is still a classic. I like it better with less forums. It is easier to keep up with the site.

Originally posted by Admin
It has always been my philosophy on message boards is to keep the number of forums to a minimum. This means, instead of spreading everything out, just group it all together and make it easy for everyone.

I seriously miss the Mac OS X Unix Focus forum. I found it very useful to have one forum dedicated to everything happening on the command line. I would think that the people delving into the Unix base of Mac OS X and those dealing with exclusively Mac OS X apps while avoiding the Terminal are very different people. I for one hardly ever looked at the Mac OS X Apps forum but concentrated on the Unix Focus one. Now there is so much more to scan for interesting topics.

Perhaps there are others who feel similarly.

Dominik

You can still ask your unix style question, just put it in the OS X System area. Of course, this is ALL aspects, but in the end, I feel it will be much better for everyone. Should the need arise, we can always expand, but for the time being we will leave it the way it is.

Thanks for your input.

Admin

The biggest problem with the system os x area is that when you are looking for a specific question relating to mac os x unix focus, it will take awhile to sift through the "my g3 wont run my dsl connection"....The search feature is good, but i like to check in on what is new about the unix side only, not every thing else.

Exactly my point on the PHP MySQL stuff. I just merged it with the Linux thread for lack of a better place to put it. :) The Linux area is just for Linux support (not related to Mac).

Admin

You can still ask your unix style question, just put it in the OS X System area. Of course, this is ALL aspects, but in the end, I feel it will be much better for everyone. Should the need arise, we can always expand, but for the time being we will leave it the way it is.

I find it interesting that all of the gripes come from people who would have preferred retaining the Unix Focus forum. It looks like all the other folks have had no issue with the consolidations.

Admin, aren't you afraid that you will have users defect to the OS X - Unix forum of MacNN?

Dominik

The Linux area is just for Linux support (not related to Mac).

Which is exactly my point, since I run MySQL & PHP (& Apache, etc., ad nauseum) on a Mac running Darwin, not Linux.

So, post your PHP questions under OS 10. We may actually have a programming section... general, not platform specific.

Thoughts?

Admin

I love the changes :)
But, what about a forum specific for Mac overclocking, hardware modifications, hardware tweaks etc, for the true Mac geeks... uhm... professionals? Those threads get drowned in the Mac Hardware thread, among threads mainly about external devices, CD burners, monitors, RAM etc.
Eh? :)

That is what the search option is for.

Yes, of course, but it would great to get those threads a little more highlited, the current thread organization is a little too much based on software and elementary school hardware. Like, how to connect a Firewire disk to the Mac, or where to get a DVI-ADC adaptor shouldn't be in same category as how to set the PLL configuration resistors for a G4 daughtercard or how to make your Mac transparent blue, in my opinion. That's like putting iTunes FAQs and HTML programming in the same place.

I still think this is a better setup.

While it might be nice to have a UNIX focus and a Mac tweaks forum, I don't think they'd be popular enough to deserve their own sections.

It's like before. Admin separated all the forums in an admittedly very organized fashion (even though I was a "critic"), but some of the forums just didn't get enough traffic, and those are what cluttered up the site.

Plus, if you want to revive a topic, just post a "reviving" post, and people will see it at the top of the forum. Otherwise, the search option is there to serve just this purpose: to allow people to search for past questions to see if it had been answered before.

Originally posted by simX
I still think this is a better setup.

While it might be nice to have a UNIX focus and a Mac tweaks forum, I don't think they'd be popular enough to deserve their own sections.

It's like before. Admin separated all the forums in an admittedly very organized fashion (even though I was a "critic"), but some of the forums just didn't get enough traffic, and those are what cluttered up the site.

Plus, if you want to revive a topic, just post a "reviving" post, and people will see it at the top of the forum. Otherwise, the search option is there to serve just this purpose: to allow people to search for past questions to see if it had been answered before.

Yes, of course, but it would great to get those threads a little more highlited, the current thread organization is a little too much based on software and elementary school hardware. Like, how to connect a Firewire disk to the Mac, or where to get a DVI-ADC adaptor shouldn't be in same category as how to set the PLL configuration resistors for a G4 daughtercard or how to make your Mac transparent blue, in my opinion. That's like putting iTunes FAQs and HTML programming in the same place.

:rolleyes:

Back