April 1 Changes (No Fool'n)

The GUI and CLI seem to be pretty natural divisions within OSX. I'm not implying the two will never get along, but each side is a little suspicious of the other. From what I've seen, the GUI crowd seems more opinion oriented (this browser is better than that one, spring loaded folders are/aren't needed, etc.), whereas the CLI bunch is more concerned with just getting it to work (I know this is an over-generalization, but the basic pattern holds true). Say some put-upon soul is trying to configure virtual servers on apache (yeah, I know there's a search button, but from my experience of reading these posts I think only about 10 of us know its there), and posts a simple call for help in the "Mac OS X System & Software" category. All too soon his post will be pushed to the bottom by the overanalizations of the latest .01 release of the beta browser de jour and could easily be missed by someone willing to give the poster a shove in the right direction (even if it is just to say that there is already a post in the "How-To" section). The fact that such an area wouldn't get as much traffic is exactly the point, a higher signal-to-noise ratio increases the chances of a relevant reply. I also think its a safe assumption that the concerns of someone working with perl, php, mysql, apache, etc., don't really mesh well with objective C & java programmers.

So, how about taking a cue from Apple? Split X discussions up into Interface, Developer, and Core OS (the displays and sound layer could probably easily fit in with the developer).

Originally posted by ksv

Yes, of course, but it would great to get those threads a little more highlited, the current thread organization is a little too much based on software and elementary school hardware. Like, how to connect a Firewire disk to the Mac, or where to get a DVI-ADC adaptor shouldn't be in same category as how to set the PLL configuration resistors for a G4 daughtercard or how to make your Mac transparent blue, in my opinion. That's like putting iTunes FAQs and HTML programming in the same place.

:rolleyes:

I still think this is a better setup.

While it might be nice to have a UNIX focus and a Mac tweaks forum, I don't think they'd be popular enough to deserve their own sections.

It's like before. Admin separated all the forums in an admittedly very organized fashion (even though I was a "critic"), but some of the forums just didn't get enough traffic, and those are what cluttered up the site.

Plus, if you want to revive a topic, just post a "reviving" post, and people will see it at the top of the forum. Otherwise, the search option is there to serve just this purpose: to allow people to search for past questions to see if it had been answered before.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

While it might be nice to have a UNIX focus and a Mac tweaks forum, I don't think they'd be popular enough to deserve their own sections.

The fact that such an area wouldn't get as much traffic is exactly the point, a higher signal-to-noise ratio increases the chances of a relevant reply.

I don't mean to harp too much and it be taken as undue criticism, but I do believe this site is actually valuable, both as information and entertainment. The problem I see with the current division is that it doesn't differentiate very well between the two, and when you're looking for one, the other is useless.

Also, from an empirical standpoint, is it just me or do there seem to be less posts overall since the change?

Not to sound all official and everything...

BUT - We did get around 150 MORE posts on Tuesday than on Monday, and by midnight we will have completed more posts today than any day last week.

So, I don't know.... it must just be you! :)

Admin

Yeah why isn't there a unix section on *macosx*.com but there is a windows section. I think we care more about unix then windows... But overall I support the change in making the categories simpler.

Yes, I did read your post ksv. Did you read mine?

OK, I have a suggestion. How about converting the Linux section to a Linux/UNIX section? That way everybody will be happy (well, at least the UNIX geeks :) ).

Still, I think this organization is better.

Originally posted by simX
Yes, I did read your post ksv. Did you read mine?

OK, I have a suggestion. How about converting the Linux section to a Linux/UNIX section? That way everybody will be happy (well, at least the UNIX geeks :) ).

Still, I think this organization is better.

Yep, and I read it twice :p
Sorry, but your reply to my post more seemed like a compliment to the Admin. You didn't answer to my statements, just added arguments to Admin's point of view.

You don't like fish and meat mixed together, do you? ;)

Originally posted by Admin
Not to sound all official and everything...

BUT - We did get around 150 MORE posts on Tuesday than on Monday, and by midnight we will have completed more posts today than any day last week.

So, I don't know.... it must just be you! :)

Admin

I'm retracting my Doh! I belive all those posts can be attributed to xoot.

Originally posted by ksv

Yep, and I read it twice :p
Sorry, but your reply to my post more seemed like a compliment to the Admin. You didn't answer to my statements, just added arguments to Admin's point of view.

I actually was responding to your arguments, saying that the current setup is better. How hard is it to see that that's what I was trying to say?

You don't like fish and meat mixed together, do you? ;)

Actually, I don't eat meat.... so I guess you could say, no, I don't like fish and meat mixed together.

Anyway, how about my suggestion? We can convert the Linux section to a Linux/UNIX section.

Originally posted by simX

Anyway, how about my suggestion? We can convert the Linux section to a Linux/UNIX section.

Nice idea, what do you think about mine? :)

I was going to come in here and rant about the rumors section getting merged with the news forum but I changed my mind after reading the posts here. I still hold by the fact that Rumors are not news and should be separated accordingly but I realize now that so many people have opinions that it is impossible to please everyone. I think a "Non GUI" section would please a lot of people so maybe Admin should consider that in the future.

Oh and one more thing about the rumors..... Perhaps they could be moved to "All thoughts non technical?" I am really fearing that one day I'll come look at the News and General discussion and read "G5 will be announced in MWNY!!!!" One of my favorite things about this site was laughing at the rumors and I could deal with it if it were in the other entertainment section. But when I want to read serious news or serious CLI stuff I want to stop playing footsie and get down to the facts.

Back