Aquamacs GUI stopped working

AlanG

Registered
I am a new Mac mini user with 35+ years Unix experience (I also used MacOS back in the Tiger/Lion days but things have moved on...).
I installed Aquamacs on Monterey and it worked faultlessly. Until today.
Now when I start it is just displays the Apple menu and the Aquamacs menu but nothing ever appears on screen.
top shows it running at the top of the process list but even after 30 minutes nothing on screen. I can kill it using kill <pid> OK.

If I start Aquamacs in the terminal with -nw it works perfectly.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but it looked closest to what I need.

Aquamacs has not been updated for decades! You better look for alternatives for your M1!

Not true! Not that I had ever heard of it, or used it, but it was just updated a few months ago:

Aquamacs has not been updated for decades! You better look for alternatives for your M1!
According to the site it's been updated recently and they are working on a native Apple Silicon release. I did try EmacsForMac from homebrew but that fails to start with signing errors (and I know at least 2 other people with the same issue) and also wouldn't recognise -nw at all. Aquamacs did at least work for a week or so... And it's only 2 versions behind the core emacs releases, which is plenty recent for me.

But I'm open to other suggestions, I just want an emacs that works in both GUI and terminal, I don't care which variety or version (if greater than, say, 20!).

Back