Are apps locked like iTunes purchased music?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
Oddly, I didn't find anything good in any searches.

If I buy an iPhone/iPod Touch application, will/can/might it be locked like iTunes Protected downloads, or is that taken care of with the "you can only sync the iPod with one computer" barrier?

Thanks!

They are "fairplay'd", i.e. they're DRM-protected. But of course that other barrier you've mentioned is in place as well. Btw.: Your question sounds as if you were trying to circumvent the copy protection in place, which would be bad. We're not that kinda forum. ;)

fryke, you know me better than that! :)

Additionally, I was asking how iPhone apps were licensed (factored out to copy protection, as I assume a copy-protected app is licensed to prevent multiple seats), not how one could circumvent copy protection. That was the intention, at least. I couldn't find any useful information on licensing for iPhone apps.

No, the reason I was asking was that my father has an iPod Touch and I wanted to try out dynolicious before my own arrives. Since I didn't want to have to remove all of his music by synching his iPod with my laptop, I wanted to know if it were possible, legally and technologically, to copy the .ipa to his iTunes to load onto his iPod. This wouldn't violate a seat license (I can buy iLife and install it only on my dad's computer, then remove it from his to install on mine, if I choose to).

It seems that it's simply not possible. No big deal.

The apps from the Apple App store are tied to the iTunes account (not primarily the machine) they were purchased by. Therefore the easiest option would be to have HIM download the Dynolicious app and let you test it. You will not be able to use an app tied to your account on his iPod touch, even if you are physically able to move the file to the correct place.

Back