Are G5s Being Released at MWSF in Jan?

djubelirer

Registered
I know that nobody really knows for sure, but you guys sure were good at predicting the Ipod launch :)

I need to purchase a few Macs and need to know if G5 Macs are going to be released in January. Any opinions?

I've read a bunch of rumors on the net about G5s being released in January....it seems that we've had the G4 long enough.

Is there any truth to this?

Anyone with any inside info out there????

Also, will Dual G5s be introduced right away?

If we aren't going to see G5s in January what will we see....faster G4s?

Thanks,
DJ

If you can wait I would.

Not real sure that the G5's are going to be released, but you might as well wait and get the new whatever they release.

I read on maccentral that only the new Apollo G4 processor will be ready for shipment in January. :(

According to Motorola the G5's are still not ready for apple's purposes

I read on maccentral that only the new Apollo G4 processor will be ready for shipment in January. :(

According to Motorola the G5's are still not ready for apple's purposes

The following is merely my opinion and not based on any heresay, rumors or actual evidence of any kind:

I predict no G5s, :(

The new G4 lineup will be SP800, DP1.1 & SP 1.3
Hopefully, that's not too optimistic

No flat panel iMacs (I don't know how this rumor keeps persisting, tho I'll be the first to admit being wrong if they show up)

OS X 10.2

Some kind of new semi-cool hardware thingamajig.

Here's to wishful thinking.

i will be the optimistic person...

Totally KICK ASS G5 Processors maxing out at 1.6 GHz

15 inch AND 17 inch Flat Panel G4 iMac models with the 15 inch being $999 and the 17 inch being $1399

the BRAND SPANKIN NEW Apple Pro Home Audio system to put wireless audio (well... a plug-in for the speakers at least) anywhere in your house/dorm/office/etc. via the new AirPort 2 at a cheap price of $300 with 5 Surround Sound Harmon Kardon pro audio speakers with 140 watts of power included for the most optimum sound quality.

and of course... $250 off total purchase for Press3.com Forums Members! :)

Sorry, but no G5s come Macworld SF (there have been some rumors Apple will call the new Apollo G4s G5s, although there won't be any REAL G5s until this summer). New G4s will be released however that exceed 1GHz. Don't be surprised if Apple's mid and upper model towers sport multi G4s though.

Sorry, OS 10.2 won't make an appearance either... that'll be released closer to Macworld NY, although there will be a new build, 10.1.2 with respectable improvements over 10.1.1.

However, I am optimistic about a major revision to the iMacs coming out in January. The lineup is well overdue and I can't imagine Steve Jobs giving a keynote address without at least one "oh yeah"s.

The new iMacs alone should make for an interesting expo keynote, and leave plenty of big news to look forward to and ponder come July. :)

Cheers,
Dak

BlingBling:

You are dreaming. WAKE UP! Snap to, chop chop. Your prices are WAY TOO CHEAP for Apple's taste. Jack them up a few more hundred or so. Even if Motorola said the G5 isn't ready for Apple's purposes, does anyone here REALLY think Moto would spill the beans on Apple? C'mon people, Motorola has a contractual agreement NOT to discuss Apple's future product plans. Many companies do this, not just Apple and Motorola. There will not be a G5 for a while, and I mean, at least until June/July. Apple's prolly not satisfied that the new G5's will kick in Intel's teeth with steel toed boots hard enough until the G5 has a metric ass-load of power. I think Apple wants to stomp on Intel so hard that it won't be able to get up for a while. Apple should bundle more software with their PowerMacs, like IBM ViaVoice, or Office X.

OK, this will be released on January 7th. Most of you won't believe me, but on the 8th of January, you will kiss my shiny metal ass! ;)

1) 17'' iMacs for 999$, replacing the old iMacs. Will break the Ghz barrier
2) 15'' Flatpanel iMacs for 1299$, something like an "advanced" iMac with better graphics card etc.
3) New iPod Software for storing contacts, emails and stuff and to display it on the iPod
4) Apollo G4s crossing the Ghz barrier and MAYBE with a higher frontside bus, though I don't believe it

And everybody who starts flaming me about Flatpanel iMacs, I won't answer, I will let the 7th January speak for me ;)

...damnit, hopefully I can show up on this forum after the 7th ;)

Seriously, I am following the rumours about the 7th like crazy and these four points seemed to be the most reliable. After all, Apple bought 300.000 15'' bare Flatpanels a month back. And I don't think they are short on Studio Displays

Yes, the last post before mine sounds about okay.

I still say Apple *will* release a G5 (a real one). But only the top of the line PowerMacintosh will use it, and the machine will be excessively highpriced. People will say it's *much* too expensive, but at the same time everyone of us will want one, because afaik the G5 processor will just blow everyone's mind.

But for 'the rest of us' there will be Apollo G4s priced like the G4s we could have bought in the last few weeks. But not up to 1.3 GHz as someone was suggesting. I guess they'll start at 900 MHz for the 'cheap' machine and go up to 1.13 GHz for the fastest, with a dual processor 1 GHz machine being the top of the line.

But more important: A new casing for the new generation? How about a slick titanium clad (or similar looking aluminum) tower?

The problem with OS 10.2 is that it was thought of as the OS that makes the transition to 64bit. So - would a G5 machine really rock under Mac OS X 10.1.x? Guess not.

I don't think I'll be kissing Ulrik's ass. I think he's got it about right. Jobs will definitely present a flat panel imac on the 7th. Chaning the date of the keynote to the day before the exhibit floor opens, and all this flat screen purchasing etc... I think we're all in for a treat. This is really going to bring apple one step closer to ruling the earth:)

...Do you really think Apple will relase G5's without a OS that supports them?
If so, Apple would have to introduce 10.2 at the same time!

My prediction:

iMac - maybe
G5 - MWNY?
iPod software - maybe
10.2 - WWDC?

If Apple relase something else, they must have kept it VERY secret!

- low end CRT imac
- middle and high end flat panel imacs which can be pulled out of dock and become tablets with stylus.
- pumped up G4s
- OS X 10.1.2

and the biggest announcement... Escape Velocity 3 is released!

my predictions were way too optimistic... i guess i was high or something.... damn model glue from my history project :)

here's what i really think will happen...

G5 - maybe... it is still a possibility...
Flat Panel iMac - definitely... no doubt... why else would they order that many flat panel displays... unless there will be a dramatic price drop on the 15 inch model, they go in the new iMac.
iPod Improvements - Maybe not... it's not that big of a deal
Mac OS X Update - If there is a G5, maybe there will be a "G5 Ready" update, otherwise... wait a few more months...
New Titanium PowerMac - Please God let this be true! This would make me say "Forget saving up... go for the financing!" Of course, it'd would have to have a G5 processor because G4's would probably stay in their current case.

That's my new guess... hopefully this is closer to the truth than my last post...

Although I am hoping Apple comes out with a Mac Powered Home Audio System so I can play music straight from the best computer systems in the world!

Well, I just brunched with Stevie (Jobs, not Nicks), and here's what he had to tell me (granted it took a few Buttery Nipples [the drink, not the widely unknown sexual torture technique])

1. 26" flat panel iMac that borrows ideas from the MacTV and functions as your computer, television, and includes a massive 200BG drive aside from the main 100GB drive that is used as VCR-like video storage. This model will include the superdrive, so that you can record your favorite infomercials in pristine digital quality and burn DVDs that you can play back over and over, watching Jay "the Juice Man" Kordich's eyebrows grow larger and larger with each passing second.

2. G6's will appear, bypassing the G5 completely, whilst also referring to the P4 as a "pansy-ass peice of silicon garbage." This slogan will also be the shape of the computer's enclosure, and multiple language versions will be available. Stevie also noted that instead of RAM, these new machines will feature super intelligent humanoid creatures the size of mice on loan from Japan. Much like a PRAM battery, they will need to be replaced every so often. On top of the standard superdrive is a slot for peanut butter and banana sandwiches, which these mice-men have been bred to love.

3. Mac OS 10.5 will come out, featuring a 3D interface that is navigable through a joystick and complex series of pulleys and levers. Stevie threw out his back while demonstrating this, however he did manage to blow through a series of 5983 Photoshop actions on a 36TB file in a mere 5 seconds.

4. The new iBooks and PowerBooks will come complete with all-terrain scooters and will be completely voice activated. To demonstrate, Stevie called his PowerBook in Denmark and told it to "high-tail its titanium ass to the States lickety-split" or face a "sludge-pile meltdown worse than the Lisa." The PowerBook respectfully complied, but was unfortunately detained in customs coming through New York, and Stevie had to destroy it while it begged for its battery life.

5. I will be arrested and charged with treason, heresey, and a number of counts of petty larceny as I have completely ignored the NDL I signed previous to the brunch, not to mention swiping Stevie's keychain because I thought it looked cool.

Just my 2¢

heh ;)

'bout the iMac LCD displays.... Why in h*** should Apple buy 300000 LCD displays if they own a LCD display factory?!

Simple.

Apple doesn't own a LCD manufacturing facility.

Apple also buys it's processors at Motorola and IBM, as all other parts they need.

Originally posted by ulrik
Simple.

Apple doesn't own a LCD manufacturing facility.

Apple also buys it's processors at Motorola and IBM, as all other parts they need.

Oh? They don't? I've heard they did... ;)

Yaya, I know that, of course, and they use Mistubishi displays in the iMacs :)

Back