Are you a 'geek' or a 'creative' mac user

Are you a 'geek' or a 'creative' mac user

• Geek

• Creative Mac user

Results are only viewable after voting.
neither... nor.

I just buy Macs because I don't want to lose time with my computer. I need a machine that operates like a charm for the whole familly.

Doesn't having a Mac mean de facto that you're creative?

My definition of 'geek' is having an obsession with the Terminal.

No, I think not, rhisiart. Having a Mac by no means makes you a creative person per definition. Although the other way 'round it might be true... If you're creative, you just might be a Mac user... (Although I certainly also know some creative people who use Windows... bleh... I call them Mac users who just haven't come out yet.)

I think having a Mac doesn't mean you're creative, but maybe that you have a taste for good design (besides other things)...

Captain: I'm gonna cry my eyes out! :D
(not sure how that sounds for English-speaking people though...)

I'd say that it's a lot harder to be a "geek" in OS X, because, well, everything is so easy to do. If you're going into terminal a lot, do all your own hardware installations, or dig into less-known/used system features, you're probably a geek. Partially, at least. If you have some form of linux installed on your mac, well, you're pretty geek :)

If I had to pick one (as I said before, I'd choose "both" if it were an option here), I guess I'd have to say creative. If I weren't a geek, I'd still be using Macs. Heck, I wasn't a geek until a year or two after I started using Macs. But if I weren't creative, I'd probably be using Linux instead. (Which is not to imply that Linux users are not creative, just for the record.)

Then again, there are many kinds of geeks. You might say that I'm just a graphics/interface/writing geek, and not really creative in any of those fields. You could also say that geeks are generally the some of the most creative people in the world. The line is blurry, but I've chosen! Geek! Wait, I mean creative! I think. Bah! :confused:

No, I think not, rhisiart. Having a Mac by no means makes you a creative person per definition. Although the other way 'round it might be true... If you're creative, you just might be a Mac user... (Although I certainly also know some creative people who use Windows... bleh... I call them Mac users who just haven't come out yet.)
Yes, actually I think you're right. I just wondered whether there must be a bit of a creative streak in someone who goes out of their way to buy a Mac. Perhaps I'm wrong.

If I had to pick one (as I said before, I'd choose "both" if it were an option here), I guess I'd have to say creative. If I weren't a geek, I'd still be using Macs. Heck, I wasn't a geek until a year or two after I started using Macs. But if I weren't creative, I'd probably be using Linux instead. (Which is not to imply that Linux users are not creative, just for the record.)

Then again, there are many kinds of geeks. You might say that I'm just a graphics/interface/writing geek, and not really creative in any of those fields. You could also say that geeks are generally the some of the most creative people in the world. The line is blurry, but I've chosen! Geek! Wait, I mean creative! I think. Bah! :confused:

have you got any of your work in an online folio? you have always seemed very passionate about intuitive interface design, i was wondering what your work was like

have you got any of your work in an online folio? you have always seemed very passionate about intuitive interface design, i was wondering what your work was like

Well, there's my hopelessly-outdated web site with some ancient software I wrote (the only OS X program is a seriously half-baked port from OS 9; it runs great on System 7, though :)). One of these days I will update Digest Viewer, at least, and make a less-gimicky web site with a bunch of new programs I've made...but I've been saying that for years now. The only things I've publicly released recently are little niche programs like KGS Accountant (better name pending), which is only remotely interesting for users of KGS.

Back