arggh!! sometimes i hate os X!!

Mac Osxtopus

Registered
Why does the stupid os x cd have to be so completely accurate? Ive partitioned the stupid new hard drive over and over again and i can't ever seem to make the cd happy that the partitioned part is "within the 1st 8 gigs of the HD"!!! Whenever i partition its always too big or too little, when i choose exactly 8 gigs in disk utility it switches it to 7. something. Any answers for this anger-inducing installer cd?

maybe you could hack the CD like the way they did the update CD. there is a little executable somewhere on the CD which checks the disk. if you want to force it to install, just remove that file and burn a new image. no guarantees that your system will work, however.

or maybe you should use pdisk to format your disk. it seems to be more precise than the diskutility.app. that s just my impression

Are you saying that when you put in 8000MB for the partition size, it automatically bumps it down to 7000MB? Or are you saying that when you put in 8000MB for the partition size, then format it, it's only showing up as 7GB? If the latter is what you are experiencing, it's perfectly normal -- just the way a 20GB hard drive doesn't format out to a cool 20GB -- it's more like 17 or 18GB. That's just the way it goes...

that's because they are in Base-2 instead of Base-10, so:
8 bits=1 byte
1024 bytes=1k
1024k=1mb
1024mb=1gb

it doesn't come out even

Back