article: is your Mac fast enough?

I still have no idea how things that used to install from a single floppy now spread themselves across three CDs... :(

Originally posted by phatcactus
I still have no idea how things that used to install from a single floppy now spread themselves across three CDs... :(

Software bloat isn't a bug - it's a feature, despite everyone and their mothers complaining about "lack of optimization", etc. etc. =P

"Bloating" software allows today's software companies to create software in a timely manner, despite steadily increasing complexity in software. Keep in mind that tasks such as debugging don't increase linearly, but probably rather exponentially as program size increases. Thus, if you wanted your software fully "optimized", you'd probably have to break your budget and wait longer than desired to get your hands on a new version of your favorite program.

/End defense of bloat

Computers nowadays can perform certain tasks like Photoshop filters, ripping MP3's and AAC's, and rendering 3D scenes in a fraction of the time that computers of even 2 years ago can, but they still take a while to... you know what I'm going to say:

LOAD.

Starting up a computer takes 1-2 minutes. Starting up many applications, like Photoshop, takes another 20-30 seconds. That's up to 2.5 minutes that you've been sitting at your desk, waiting to become productive. I think the software companies should start looking into ways to reduce this time.

When I have a fantastic job and money up the wazoo, I'm going to custom order a computer from Apple that will boot in under 10 seconds and absolutely never, ever crash, even if I have to pay a fortune, plus sell several organs, to afford it. Who knows, maybe they'll figure out the formula and start mass marketing computers that do just that.

Originally posted by GulGnu
Software bloat isn't a bug - it's a feature, despite everyone and their mothers complaining about "lack of optimization", etc. etc. =P

"Bloating" software allows today's software companies to create software in a timely manner, despite steadily increasing complexity in software. Keep in mind that tasks such as debugging don't increase linearly, but probably rather exponentially as program size increases. Thus, if you wanted your software fully "optimized", you'd probably have to break your budget and wait longer than desired to get your hands on a new version of your favorite program.

/End defense of bloat
I can remember when virtually every Mac application shipped on a single floppy that also had a copy of the System installed. The multiple installation CD's are due a combination of things. Software bloat is a part of it. Added features, many of dubious value, and the switch from assembly language to C++ accounts for part of the bloat. Another thing accounts for some of the bloat is the switch to the PowerPC. PPC code is naturally bigger than 680x0 code. For many applications, however, those three things will still not fill even a single CD. What fills multiple CDs are the bundled extras. My favorite graphics application used to ship on a single floppy. The switch to C++, PPC code, etc. bloated the installation up to four floppies. The application now ships on three CDs. Two of the CDs contain only cheesy fonts and clip art. I have used a few pieces of the clip art, but the fonts will not touch my hard disk. Why does the vendor include crap that I don't want or need? My theory is that it is the notion that size matters. The vendor figures that the customer will think that two CDs are better than one, and that three CDs are better than two. The really sad part of it is that the vendor is probably right.

Starting up a computer takes 1-2 minutes. Starting up many applications, like Photoshop, takes another 20-30 seconds. That's up to 2.5 minutes that you've been sitting at your desk, waiting to become productive. I think the software companies should start looking into ways to reduce this time.
Let your computer sleep rather than shutting down and restarting. There's other reasons to, but it wakes from sleep much faster than a restart.
And if you multi-task, you're saving time. If I'm doing something in InDesign or Quark or PhotoShop I'll usually check my e-mail or surf (love those Safari tabs) or scan the Music Store while waiting for the app to load. And that works just fine, even on a iBook (just make sure you have plenty of ram).

Originally posted by MisterMe
The vendor figures that the customer will think that two CDs are better than one, and that three CDs are better than two. The really sad part of it is that the vendor is probably right.

This theory can be expanded a bit. CD:s are dirt cheap these days, so there is really no substantial reason for software companies not to bundle software with various kinds of media, to enhance percieved value. And as long as installation isn't mandatory, why object? This also answers your question - even if you don't want that "crap", someone else might - and as the cost of including said crap is negligable, they might as well do it in order to rack up a few extra sales.

I don't need an article, I already know my Mac isn't fast enough. It's not powerful enough either. It's all stinky and broken.:(

Randman, I already keep my iMac on perpetually, despite my father's wishes that I shut it down to "save power." We shut this computer (the G3) down whenever no one will be using it for some time, although this computer is much louder than my induction-cooled iMac with the hard drive spinned down. In any case, that's how we use this computer. I also try to keep common applications open on my iMac that don't use a lot of memory, which isn't Photoshop.

All that really isn't the point, though.

The next logical step is distributing software on DVD rather than 650-700 MB CD-ROMs. Even Linux distros are doing this now because no one wants to swap around 3 CDs with RPM packages scattered all across.

Most all Macs come with a combo drive that includes a DVD reader, unless the user ordered one with just a plain CD-ROM drive (I think it's only possible with iBooks right now).

That would be a good idea if every computer had a DVD player, but unfortunately most do not, and many people would be unable to buy software.

However, the CD-ROM eventually caught on, overtaking the floppy over several years, so I'm sure eventually companies will distribute software on DVD's. It'll just take a long time, and during the transition, some will use CD's, some will use DVD's, and some will use both.

Originally posted by arden
That would be a good idea if every computer had a DVD player, but unfortunately most do not

This won't be the case for very long. Apple will push it and push it hard (as they did with the move from floppy distributions to CDs).

Originally posted by phatcactus
I have most of my college life on 3 low density 3" floppies. That includes all of my essays AND a copy of MS Word 4.

Granted this was 1987-1991 and MS Word files only weighed bytes and not 100's of Kb.

I have a few papers from my old Kaypro DOS machine on 5.25" floppies (actually floppy and not hard like the 3.5" floppies). But using DOS + Wordstart + dot matrix printer was a complete drag compared to those cute little Mac Plus's + laser printers they had in the computer labs.

As far as my computer being fast enough... Just the fact that my current machine can do things (digital video, internet, plotting missle tragectories, etc...) that would have required a Cray supercomputer in 1987, I have to say YES. Regarding word processing being slow, all I have to say is what the h3ll do you expect from friggin Microsoft?!?

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Regarding word processing being slow, all I have to say is what the h3ll do you expect from friggin Microsoft?!? [/B]

No I don't expect much from Microsoft, but I do expect this text box I'm typing in to post this message to keep up with the speed at which I'm hitting the keys. When move my hands away from the keyboard I can still see the letters appearing.

Lycander, you must have an old computer like I do running mac os x ;p , I have the same problem. But if I run os 9 it is a lot more responsive. It's all about running the OS/Software that are made in the same 'time period' as your own mac or older. That way your computer will feel responsive.

Viktor

iMan,

I'm using an iBook2 800 MHz with QE enabled on a ATI Radeon 7500. This is not old, and the behavior is unacceptable!

Then there is a problem with your setup (OS, browser, whatever) or you have Flash-like typing abilities (you know... the Flash hero from DC Comics) :p

Heh yes I know Flash. But tell me hulkaros, how do you type with such large hands? Do you use a poking stick? Think Simpsons episode when Homer goes really over weight an can't dial the phone.

BTW, I'm using Camino which uses the Cocoa framework so I thought it would be faster since it's more native to OSX.

Originally posted by Lycander
Heh yes I know Flash. But tell me hulkaros, how do you type with such large hands? Do you use a poking stick? Think Simpsons episode when Homer goes really over weight an can't dial the phone.

BTW, I'm using Camino which uses the Cocoa framework so I thought it would be faster since it's more native to OSX.

Banner is the one who uses the Macs! :mad: I'm the one who smashes Wintels ;)

The problem you describe is strange. Do you have it in other apps which let you type, too? Sounds strange... So, strange and it isn't normal, too...

Back