ASP (server scripting) on mac os x

eliezer

Registered
hi.

im want to learn asp on w3schools.com, but it says that i have to install asp on my computer. can someone please explain to me how to do this.

i have a 1.6ghz g5 running 10.3.9.

thanks in advance

ASP is a Microsoft technology, and as far as I know, there is no Mac OS X-compatible build of it. You may want to look into a PC for that, or possibly running it under VirtualPC.

There are ASP "engines" around. I tried one for a bit, but found it easier to just use my PeeCee.

Sorry I don't remember names, but it is possible.

David Kassa

Pengu said:
you can run ASP code with Apache web server, using the Apache:ASP module. goto www.apache-asp.org for more info on it.

there is no apple version on this site

<hr>

i won't bother learning ASP if it's too much of a hassle.

so far i know onl html.

what would you suggest leaning next?

i'm guessing css?

thanks in advance

php is an open-source, multi-platform, server-side scripting language, comparable to ASP. it runs as a module, or extension, with Apache on various platforms, including OSX, and under IIS on windows. PHP is in my mind, one of the easiest languages to learn. but of course, without some (X)HTML/CSS knowledge, php is pretty useless. I'd suggest xhtml and css, then php and mysql (database)

Pengu said:
but of course, without some (X)HTML/CSS knowledge, php is pretty useless. I'd suggest xhtml and css, then php and mysql (database)
I know a lot of people, myself included, who would strongly disagree with that.

Server side scripting serves as the backend data processing. (X)HTML/CSS and roll Javascript in there at the same time, that serves as the presentation layer. Indeed they do go hand-in-hand (server-side + client-side) but it's too harsh to say PHP is useless without the presentation stuff to make it look pretty.

In fact, you can even run PHP scripts stand alone outside the context of a website. I can think of a few instances where I wish I had something like Applescript (on different platforms) where I can quickly whip up a little script to do tedious tasks like renaming a large set of files or some non-sense.

Being a C/C++ programmer, I'd lean towards PHP scripts to do system tasks as opposed to shell scripts which I have less knowledge of.

Ok. sorry. i agree that PHP can be used without any HTML/css/js knowledge. BUT. w3schools is most likely teaching from a web point of view, and that is afterall what most people use it for. I'm simply saying, before you write a whole heap of php with sloppy html formatting, take the time to learn xhtml & css, then put it to use in conjunction with php : )

Back