Ata/33 -- Ata/66

Nummi_G4

New Rhapsody User
I bought a new HD for my G4 400mhz(Yikes!). So I had an extra 12GB HD not being used. So my dad took it work to put it in his dual 533mhz G4. The 12GB HD was ATA/33, but the other drive in his dual is ATA/66.

Will the ATA/33 drive not work in his work machine?

thanks.

You can plug any IDE drive to any IDE port (ATA33, ATA66, ATA100, ATA133). The thing is, that the slowest element will be the limitation:
ATA33 disc in ATA66 controler -> ATA33
ATA66 disc in ATA33 controler -> ATA33

I got my old 6GB ATA33 disc work with my ATA133 raid controler. No problems what so ever

He plugged it in... when he started up the machine the screen was "light grey" and it was stuck there. So he restarted and held down the option key(both HDs have bootable OSes on them). After 5 min, no drives showed up and the pointer froze.

Now (i dont know if this is related) a bunch of his apps do not work. Safari won't load any pages. iChat and Mail are acting up. I cannot get any man pages to load in the terminal, and simple commands like "top" are not there.

also... loginwindow always sucks up 90% + of the CPUs. Weird.

are the both discs set correctly (master/slave or cable selected)?
Maybe the disc is running at the wrong PIOMODE. I know this issue in the peecee world. Have no idea how you could check on this in the mac world. But the compatibility between the ATA33 and ATA66 is surely not the problem.

I would second the suggestion to check the jumpers on both hard drives and make sure they're jumpered for master and slave correctly. One should be jumpered as master, and connected to the middle connector on the IDE ribbon cable. The other should be jumpered as slave and connected to the very last connector on the ribbon cable.

Back