ATI Driver Uninstall

moldor

Registered
I'm a recent switcher to Mac from that-other-never-to-be-sufficiently-damned "gaming platform" (I refuse to call that piece of worthless crud an Operating System !!), and I have done something I suspect was pretty stupid.

I've just done the 10.4.3 upgrade (all appeared to go well), and decided last night to see if there was a newer driver for the video card in my 17" PowerBook (ATI Radeon Mobility 9700).

I installed said driver and was... fiddling... witht he settings when I noticed a utility that allowed you to rotate the screen.

Yes, I'm an idiot... I clicked on the "rotate 180 degrees" button, and now the screen looks like it has lost horizontal sync - it's upside down (the cursor moves as you'd expect for an upside down screen), but I can't make anything out. I can restart in target disk mode, and see the drive from my wife's 15" PowerBook (how do you think I was allowed to get a 17" ?? By buying her a 15" !!).

My question is this: Is there a "manual" way to remove the video driver from the command line (which I can get to) - I'm fairly experienced with Linux and Solaris, so the command line is like a second home for me, but I'm just not sure of the driver setup on OS/X.

Jon

Sadly I did this also at one time. The easiest way to fix it was (and you have to do this upside down) launch System Preferences->ATI Displays and highlight thew advance tab. Once there just select 'Default'. The other way is somehow launch another user (or boot from an install OS X CD) and go into the hard drive and delete the User Preferences file ATIDisplays3.plist and ATIMonitor.plist. Then log in normally and don't pull that stunt again. :)

Back